British police launched one of the country’s largest murder investigations on Wednesday after 39 bodies were found inside a tractor-trailer on an industrial estate in southeast England.
What We Know:
- A 25 year-old man from Northern Ireland has been arrested on suspicion of murder after driving the deceased bodies of 38 adults and one teenage inside a tractor trailer.
- Around 1:05 am on Wednesday, police received a call from local ambulance saying they discovered “a container,” but it was unclear how the ambulance services had been tipped off.
- Police have not yet offered an account of what might have happened, but the scene bore the markings of human trafficking.
- Police reportedly believe the truck carrying the bodies was from Bulgaria and entered the country on Saturday through one of the busiest ports in England.
- “Deputy Chief Constable Pippa Mills said the police have not yet identified the victims or where they are from, the investigation could be a lengthy process.”
British authorities are investigating this as a human trafficking incident. We will keep you updated as the story develops.