T.I. made the troubling revelation on the Ladies Like Us podcast.
What We Know:
- The Atlanta rapper was discussing his children on the show when the conversation shifted to his daughters. The rapper told the show’s host, Nazanin Mandi and Nadia Moham, that his 18-year-old, Deyjah, was currently completing her first semester of college. It got weird after that.
- The ladies asked if he has had the “sex talk” with her. He answered, “Not only have we had the conversation. We have yearly trips to the gynecologist to check her hymen.” The women ask if he attends the appointments with his daughter and he proudly says, “Yes, I go with her.”
- The hymen is a thin membrane that surrounds the opening of the vagina. The hymens presence is associated with virginity but it is paramount to understand that having a hymen and being a virgin are not the same thing. The World Health Organization has denounced virginity testing calling it a violation of human rights. WHO disproves it saying, “There is no examination that can prove a girl or woman has had sex – and the appearance of girl’s or woman’s hymen cannot prove whether they have had sexual intercourse, or are sexually active or not.”
- The hosts laugh off his revelation, jokingly saying, “She’s a prisoner. Somebody check on Deyjah.” This doesn’t deter him though, he continues to recount placing a sticky note on his daughter’s door after her 16th birthday party that read “Gyno. Tomorrow 9:30.”
- The rapper said his daughter’s doctor explained to him that there are “other ways besides sex that the hymen can be broken like bike riding, athletics, horseback riding, and just other forms of athletic physical activity.” He continues, “I say, ‘Look, Doc, she don’t ride no horses, she don’t ride no bike, she don’t play no sports. Just check the hymen, please, and give me back my results expeditiously.’”
- He concluded the story with, “I will say, as of her 18th birthday, her hymen is still intact.” He doubled down later saying how her virgin status makes her less appealing to potential partners.
- Social media went into an uproar over T.I.’s offputting comments about his daughter.
I wonder if T.I. got his daughters consent flbefore sharing an incredibly intimate and private aspect of her medical history with the world? Just so wrong on so many levels to treat your child like that.
— Anne Davis (@AnneCDavis01) November 6, 2019
So instead of celebrating the fact that his child lived another year, TI spends his time hyper-fixating on whether or not her hymen is intact? This is so overwhelmingly weird and toxic and he needs to be stopped
— ‘ (@sammyhammy727) November 6, 2019
Policing girls and teen’s sexuality messes them up when they reach adulthood. This situation is an extreme example of this. When your parent was the first to cross these boundaries, you’re already being taught you don’t have any sexual agency. This is harmful parenting.
— Natelegé Whaley (@natelege_) November 6, 2019
Deyjah has not released an official comment on her father’s statements but has been liking tweets that criticize his antics.