fbpx
Connect with us

Headlines

Atatiana Jefferson’s Father, Marquis Jefferson Dies At 58

Published

on

Marquis Jefferson, the father of recently slain Atatiana Jefferson, has died at the age of 58.

What We Know:

  • In October, we reported the unfortunate shooting incident that killed 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson in her Fort Worth, TX home. On Saturday, November 9, Atatiana’s father, Marquis Jefferson died of a heart attack at Methodist Charlton Medical Center in Dallas, TX.
  • Bruce Carter, a spokesman for Jefferson told The Washington Post that Jefferson wasn’t sick before his fateful heart attack but, he had been full of grief since his daughter’s death. “When you heard him talk about his daughter, you thought he was coping well because he always tried to have a smile. But in the last three weeks, he just started wearing down day after day; he wasn’t his perky self,” stated Carter.
  • Sadly, after recently putting Atatiana to rest, the Jefferson family will have to grieve another loss. “I didn’t know what a broken heart meant, but I feel like I’ve really witnessed a broken heart,” added Carter.
  • Before his death, Jefferson had announced that he had plans to start a foundation in her memory. According to Carter, Atatiana’s mother, Yolanda Carr, was a nurse for fifty years at Forest Avenue Hospital, which was the first black-owned hospital in Dallas. Before she passed, Atatiana worked in pharmaceutical equipment sales and was saving up money to attend medical school. She had dreams of following in her mother’s footsteps and continuing on the legacy of medical providers within her family.

We are sending out love and condolences to the Jefferson family as they continue to mourn the loss of Atatiana and her father.

Comments

comments

Melodi Blackmon is a writer, Virgo, wife, and an Atlanta native. She recently earned her Associates Degree in Mass Communications this summer. She is also a Digital Intern with Black News Alerts. Follow her on her social media to get to know her more.

Education

Deion Sanders to be new Jackson State Head Football Coach

Published

on

NFL Hall of Fame defenseman Deion Sanders announced Monday that he will be the new head coach at Jackson State, ESPN reports.

What We Know:

  • The legendary defensive back is currently the offensive coordinator at Trinity Christian School in Cedar Hill, Texas, where he will finish the season before preparing for his new role at Jackson State, which has pushed its season to the spring. “God called me to Jackson State,” Sanders said on his podcast.

  • Jackson State athletic director Ashley Robinson expressed the university’s enthusiasm in a statement. “It’s very big for Jackson State University. Not only for Jackson State University, this is very big for the country right now. Very big for the state of Mississippi. To Coach Prime, Jackson State University — a blue blood program full of Hall of Famers — it’s just a great time.”
  • Deion “Prime Time” Sanders takes over a program that most recently went 6-9 overall and a 5-5 conference record. The team’s last winning season came in 2013. Sanders described his new opportunity as a “match made in heaven,” and a “God move.”

Sanders was a duel professional athlete, winning two Super Bowls and appearing in the Major League Baseball World Series. He is the only athlete to participate in both championship events.

 

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Election 2020

Foot Locker Stores Will Turn Into Voter Registration Sites

Published

on

Starting on September 22, all Foot Locker-owned stores in the U.S will become temporary voter registration sites in an effort to increase youth voter turnout at the election this November.

What We Know:

  • The registration sites will include all Foot Locker stores, including Kids Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Champs Sports, and Footaction locations. With more than 2,000 locations, each of the company’s stores will house a kiosk with a special website where visitors can register to vote, check their voter status, or sign up for election reminders. The company has also launched a voter registration portal on its website.
  • Foot Locker said the new initiative is geared toward the more than 4 million young Americans who will become eligible to vote for the first time in this November election. The company said its effort will target 18 to 24-year-old customers, which is 4.3 million of the retailer’s Instagram followers.
  • Civic group leaders recently shared with CBS News that the coronavirus pandemic has forced them to come up with new ways to reach young voters. In years past, volunteers would typically target college campuses, concerts, and festivals, but with those activities suspended due to the pandemic, groups are forced to now use digital platforms. 
  • CEO Richard Johnson said the project, run in partnership with the nonprofit Rock the Vote, is an effort to “educate and amplify the voices of today’s youth.”

“In a year marked with such uncertainty, amid a pandemic and social unrest, our country’s future — and our collective role in shaping it — has never been more important,” Johnson said in a statement. “At Foot Locker, our mission is to inspire and empower youth culture, so partnering with Rock the Vote was a natural fit to help educate and amplify the voices of today’s youth.”

  • Other venues across the country that are not typically used as polling places or for voter registration are also opening their doors to help increase voter turnout on Election Day. The NBA’s Houston Rockets will use their arena, the Toyota Center, for a registration drive this month and Arrowhead Stadium, home field for the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs, will become a polling place November 3.

Foot Locker has also pledged to make it easy for their employees to vote on Election Day by giving them a flexible work schedule that will allow them the time to vote.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Crime

Eric Trump to Comply with New York AG’s Subpoena Only after Election Day

Published

on

Eric Trump. (Pete Marovich/The New York Times)
Eric Trump. (Pete Marovich/The New York Times)

The president’s son, Eric Trump, has come out and said he will finally be willing to comply with a subpoena from the New York Attorney General’s office’s probe of the Trump Organization issued by Attorney General Letitia James. The only condition is that it would have to be done after the U.S general election.

What We Know:

  • According to a Thursday court filing, the chosen timeframe after the upcoming presidential election aims to avoid “any appearance of politicizing” the process. Eric Trump’s attorneys also explained that he is willing to appear and gave several dates to proceed after the Nov. 3rd election. They noted that one of the main reasons was simply because of Eric Trump’s “extreme travel schedule and related unavailability”.

“In this regard, we note that the OAG investigation has been ongoing for approximately 18 months and that additional examinations are scheduled in October 2020 for certain other individuals,” stated the filing.

  • To confirm Eric’s claims, the filing elaborated how “given all the circumstances and the fact that counsel’s requested dates are, for all practical purposes, just 30 days after other scheduled depositions, and given the importance of avoiding any appearance of politicizing the investigatory process”.
  • Just last month, James reportedly urged a judge to force Eric Trump, along with the Trump Organization, to comply with subpoenas in an effort to carry on with the office’s investigation of President Trump. A related investigation is looking into alleged illegal inflation of his assets to reap loans and appeal to investors. “No one is above the law, period,” responded James to the Thursday filing.

  • That same month, James also accused Eric Trump of refusing to comply with a subpoena for his testimony. According to NBC News, she alleged that the Trump Organization and its lawyers were setting a motion that would “shield thousands of documents from investigators”.
  • The attorney general went on to say in a statement that “we cannot comment on the particular steps we’re taking on specific litigation,” but she made it clear that they wouldn’t allow any outside force control have the investigation moves forward or allow anyone to “evade a lawful subpoena”.

The related investigation opened by the New York attorney general last year followed President Trump’s former attorney Michael Cohen, who testified to Congress that the president tampered with financial statements in order to benefit from better insurance rates, loans, and tax breaks.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending