Gowdy, a promising wide-receiver prospect from Deerfield Beach, Fla., died Monday after he was struck by a freight train in Deerfield Beach. After authorities arrived at the scene shortly after 4 a.m., Gowdy was transported to a nearby hospital and died there. The CNN report attributed its information on the manner of death to the Broward County, Fla., medical examiner.
What We Know:
- Gowdy, who signed a letter of intent with Tech on Dec. 18, was to enroll at Tech in coming days and begin classes Monday. Gowdy’s death was a tragic shock to communities at Deerfield Beach High and Tech.
- Gowdy was a four-star prospect, rated among Tech’s top signees in recent history.
- He had helped lead Deerfield Beach High to 30 wins in the past three seasons, including an appearance in the state semifinals as a junior. He received more than 30 scholarship offers and chose Tech in July over the likes of Oregon, Penn State, Syracuse and West Virginia.
Georgia Tech issued the following statement:
“Our entire Georgia Tech football family is devastated by the news of Bryce’s passing,” Tech coach Geoff Collins said in a statement. “Bryce was an outstanding young man with a very bright future. He was a great friend to many, including many of our current and incoming team members. On behalf of our coaches, players, staff and families, we offer our deepest condolences to Bryce’s mother, Shibbon, and his brothers, Brisai and Brayden, as well as the rest of his family members, his teammates and coaches at Deerfield Beach High School, and his many friends. Bryce and his family will always be a part of the Georgia Tech football family.”
This is a tough loss for the family of Gowdy, Broward County, the Deefield Beach High School family and Georgia Tech. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.
This is a developing story and will be updated here.
If you or anyone you know is contemplating suicide, call or text the 24-hour hotline at 800-273-8255.For more information, go to www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
Dolly Parton Declares Her Support For Black Lives Matter
Country music icon Dolly Parton declares support for the Black Lives Matter movement.
What We Know:
- Dolly Parton was always vocal about her support for the LGBTQ community but was rarely vocal about politics. But now she has declared her support for the Black Lives Matter movement in a new Billboard cover story, saying that she’s “unequivocal” in supporting protests for racial justice despite never attending one.
- “I understand people having to make themselves known and felt and seen,” Parton said. “And of course Black lives matter. Do we think our little white asses are the only ones that matter? No!”
- Black Lives Matter protests have erupted all over the world, especially in the United States, fighting against systemic racism and police brutality after the deaths of many African Americans at the hands of police. The protests also have led to the removal of Confederate statues in states like Virginia and Tennessee.
- Other Country music artists like Lady A, previously Lady Antebellum, and The Chicks, previously the Dixie Chicks, have shown their support for the movement by changing their band name to remove imagery related to a pre-Civil War-era South.
- In 2018, Parton removed “Dixie” from Pigeon Forge dinner showroom Dolly Parton’s Stampede because she was told that it was an offensive term and she didn’t want to offend anyone, so she changed it to The Stampede.
- “There’s no such thing as innocent ignorance, and so many of us are guilty of that,” Parton told Billboard. “…as soon as you know that [something] is a problem, you should fix it. Don’t be a dumbass. That’s where my heart is. I would never dream of hurting anybody on purpose.”
Dolly Parton has won over 30 Grammy and CMA awards and is known for her hits “Jolene,” “9 to 5,” I Will Always Love You,” and “Islands in the Stream” featuring Kenny Rogers.
Wu-Tang Clan’s RZA Re-imagines Ice Cream Jingle Opposing “Turkey In the Straw”
It could be entirely possible the once cherished ice cream truck tune could adopt a new sound in the future. A collaboration from Good Humor and Wu-Tang Clan’s founder RZA, has recently teamed up to create a new ice cream truck theme for a “new era, ” after learning the classic jingle holds racist roots.
What We Know:
- One might immediately recognize the iconic melody from the song, “Turkey in the Straw”, when an ice-cream truck comes rolling down a street on a nice summer day. The tune was popular at minstrel shows around 200 years ago, which often depicted white actors participating in Blackface or other racial stereotyping acts. Good Humor only just now learned of the unfortunate history.
- Much of the public weren’t aware that this childhood jingle for many, actually held a discomforting tone and meaning. Theodore R. Johnson wrote a piece for NPR in 2014 explaining exactly how racist lyrics were added to the tune from minstrel shows in the 1800s and onward. It originally came to the United States as a tune British and Irish folk played on the fiddle.
“There is simply no divorcing the song from the dozens of decades it was almost exclusively used for coming up with new ways to ridicule, and profit from, black people,” stated Johnson.
- Senior director Russel Lilly of the parent company of Good Humor, Unilever, made a note that they haven’t used or owned ice cream trucks for a while now but wished to be a part of the change nonetheless.
- Although they haven’t operated trucks since the ’70s, Good Humor is known for being the inventor of the ice cream trucks in a time where the company first thought about bringing their products to customers. “We wanted to be part of the solution and offer ice cream truck drivers a jingle that can bring joy to every community,” Lilly said in a statement.
- RZA took a trip down memory lane in a statement by saying, “I remember the days when I would hear that iconic ice cream truck jingle outside, and I would drop what I was doing to chase it down for a treat”.
- Check out the new jingle below:
In a behind the scenes making of the new jingle, Good Humor shared its initiative to make it the new industry standard for music boxes in trucks.
Herman Cain Continues to Tweet After Death, Slams Kamala Harris and Joe Biden
Known Trump enthusiast Herman Cain, who died two weeks ago, is maintaining a very active Twitter account which very clearly has its sights on the Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and his new running mate Kamala Harris.
What We Know:
- Cain passed away due to contracting COVID-19 after participating in the controversial Trump rally in Tulsa in June.
- The late business executive’s Twitter account posted an article from his website on Wednesday detailing that “Joe Biden’s history with race is a minefield”.
- Ever since the new tweets started appearing, many social media users have had their share of things to say about the recent activity. The new tweets appeared to rattle some social media users. From making memes to criticism, the current social media team is taking it all.
Why are you on Twitter 👀 pic.twitter.com/q1Zloz3Wdj
— LibbityBibbityBoo (@LibbityBoo) August 13, 2020
- Comedian Sarah Cooper wrote, “So, let me get this straight. You think the Biden candidacy is going to be nuts and you’re saying this FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE SINCE YOU DIED TWO WEEKS AGO.”
- As stated on the bio of the newly rebranded Twitter account, The Cain Gang, the Cain family, and dedicated team will continue to use the former GOP candidate’s social media accounts to promote his ideals.
His daughter explained that “It’s one of the ways he used this web site every day, and he wouldn’t have wanted that work to stop with his passing”.
- Cain was previously the co-chair of “Black Voices for Trump” and a known Tea Party activist. Trump even considered him for a position on the Federal Reserve the past year before Cain himself withdrew when it was clear several Congress members did not support that decision.
- Biden formally announced his selection of Sen. Kamala Harris of California as his vice president on Tuesday. This marks the first time a Black and South Asian American woman has ever been chosen for the role of a major party in U.S. history.
Also on Wednesday, it was reported that the Trump campaign revealed the President’s thoughts on Biden’s selection a few days ago. “Kamala Harris is the meanest, most horrible, most disgraceful, MOST LIBERAL of anyone in the U.S. Senate and I cannot believe that Joe Biden would pick her as his running mate,” said the fundraising email.
Headlines5 days ago
T.I.’s Daughter, Zonnique, Announces Pregnancy
Headlines5 days ago
Wayfair Child Trafficking Conspiracy Proved to be False
News5 days ago
Man Proposes to Girlfriend with Candles, Burns Down Their Apartment
Entertainment2 days ago
Regina King Sells Directorial Debut Film to Amazon Studios
Headlines5 days ago
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis Admits Unemployment System is Rigged to Discourage People from Filing Claims
Crime5 days ago
Zephi Trevino, a Victim of Child Trafficking, Charged With Capital Murder
Justice2 days ago
Texas Soldiers Arrested in Child Prostitution Ring
Headlines4 days ago
Mnuchin Threatens to Make Taxpayers Pay Back COVID Money Unless Trump is Reelected