After ending his own run for the Presidential seat in the White House, Julián Castro has endorsed Senator Elizabeth Warren for President.
What We Know:
- On Monday, January 6, Castro took to his Twitter account to announce his endorsement for Senator Warren.
- “Today I’m proud to endorse @ewarren for president. Elizabeth and I share a vision of America where everyone counts. An America where people— not the wealthy or well-connected—are put first. I’m proud to join her in the fight for big, structural change.
Today I’m proud to endorse @ewarren for president.
Elizabeth and I share a vision of America where everyone counts. An America where people—not the wealthy or well-connected—are put first. I’m proud to join her in the fight for big, structural change. pic.twitter.com/xDvMEKqpF3
— Julián Castro (@JulianCastro) January 6, 2020
- In a 3 minute and 23 second video, Castro discussed why the women in his life has prompted his decision. He and Warren can be seen sitting down discussing like-minded views and thoughts. Warren also acknowledged his endorsement via her Twitter account.
Thank you, @JulianCastro! You’ve been a powerful voice for bold, progressive change and I’m honored to have your support. Together, we’ll fight to make sure every single family in America has a path to opportunity. https://t.co/uHs7DP4DcU
— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) January 6, 2020
- Castro and Warren are set to have a rally together Tuesday, according to NPR. This is the second high-profile endorsement for a candidate after Rep. Alexandria Cortez-Ortiz threw her support behind Bernie Sanders. Despite this, Joe Biden has the most endorsements of any candidate in the race.
A few candidates that have dropped out of the race such as Kamala Harris, have yet to endorse anyone. The rally for Castro and Warren is expected to take place in Brooklyn.
Herman Cain Continues to Tweet After Death, Slams Kamala Harris and Joe Biden
Known Trump enthusiast Herman Cain, who died two weeks ago, is maintaining a very active Twitter account which very clearly has its sights on the Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and his new running mate Kamala Harris.
What We Know:
- Cain passed away due to contracting COVID-19 after participating in the controversial Trump rally in Tulsa in June.
- The late business executive’s Twitter account posted an article from his website on Wednesday detailing that “Joe Biden’s history with race is a minefield”.
- Ever since the new tweets started appearing, many social media users have had their share of things to say about the recent activity. The new tweets appeared to rattle some social media users. From making memes to criticism, the current social media team is taking it all.
Why are you on Twitter 👀 pic.twitter.com/q1Zloz3Wdj
— LibbityBibbityBoo (@LibbityBoo) August 13, 2020
- Comedian Sarah Cooper wrote, “So, let me get this straight. You think the Biden candidacy is going to be nuts and you’re saying this FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE SINCE YOU DIED TWO WEEKS AGO.”
- As stated on the bio of the newly rebranded Twitter account, The Cain Gang, the Cain family, and dedicated team will continue to use the former GOP candidate’s social media accounts to promote his ideals.
His daughter explained that “It’s one of the ways he used this web site every day, and he wouldn’t have wanted that work to stop with his passing”.
- Cain was previously the co-chair of “Black Voices for Trump” and a known Tea Party activist. Trump even considered him for a position on the Federal Reserve the past year before Cain himself withdrew when it was clear several Congress members did not support that decision.
- Biden formally announced his selection of Sen. Kamala Harris of California as his vice president on Tuesday. This marks the first time a Black and South Asian American woman has ever been chosen for the role of a major party in U.S. history.
Also on Wednesday, it was reported that the Trump campaign revealed the President’s thoughts on Biden’s selection a few days ago. “Kamala Harris is the meanest, most horrible, most disgraceful, MOST LIBERAL of anyone in the U.S. Senate and I cannot believe that Joe Biden would pick her as his running mate,” said the fundraising email.
Small Town Virginia Mayor Blasted For Aunt Jemima Comments About Biden Picking Harris For VP
The mayor of Luray, a small town in Virginia, is being urged to step down after calling Kamala Harris Aunt Jemima in a Facebook post.
What We Know:
- Mayor Barry Presgraves made a Facebook post about how Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden “just announced Aunt Jemima” as his running mate and faced a lot of backlash from the Luray Town Council and other residents.
- Presgraves took down his post and apologized Monday for his actions at a town council meeting. “I understand what I posted on social media was wrong, offensive and unbecoming,” he said. He also apologized to people of color and women for his comments and thinking of it as humorous while not recognizing that the racial stereotype was offensive.
- But before the town council meeting, Presgraves interviewed with Page Valley News where he told them that his actions were a “mistake” but didn’t think he did anything wrong. “I thought it was funny… I thought it was humorous,” he told the news outlet. “I had no idea people would react the way they did. If I had the chance to do it over, I wouldn’t do it.” And when asked if he would resign, Presgraves responded with “hell no”. “The people elected me and I have a few more months to serve.”
- Presgraves’ apology wasn’t enough for Luray Council Member Leah Pence and she sent him a letter asking him to resign. “Barry – I am writing to strongly urge you to resign over a racist comment you made on Facebook,” the letter said. “The comment you posted has a type of humor that [has]not been appropriate or funny in my lifetime or yours.”
Quaker Oats announced in June that it would be retiring its Aunt Jemima brand and logo because they were based on a racial stereotype.
Australian Newspaper Under Fire for Racist Kamala Harris Cartoon
A cartoon published by a national Australian newspaper of Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and his running mate, Kamala Harris has been called out as racist.
What We Know:
- The Australian is one of Australia’s most prominent newspapers. The cartoon the newspaper published shows Biden deferring to Harris and saying, “I’ll hand you over to this little brown girl while I go for a lie-down”. The cartoon sparked outrage online but the newspaper, owned by a conservative News Corp still went along with its publishing.
- Members of the left-leaning Australian Labor Party criticized the publication. One member, Andrew Leigh said in a tweet, “Racism has no place in Australian public life. The Australian should pull today’s offensive cartoon off their website and issue an immediate apology.” Former race discrimination commissioner at the Australian Human Rights Commission, Tim Soutphommasane, expressed that the newspaper used racism as part of its business model.
Here's your little reminder of how ludicrously racist Australian commercial media are. This is in the country's only national daily newspaper: pic.twitter.com/7oN7bjRWLO
— Ketan Joshi (@KetanJ0) August 13, 2020
- Johannes Leak, the man who made the cartoon has been under fire before for his offensive content. In November, he published a cartoon depicting offensive comments towards a refugee family. According to The Australian Editor in Chief Christopher Dore, Leak was using the words of Joe Biden from a tweet he previously made.
“The words “little black and brown girls” belong to US presidential candidate Joe Biden, not Johannes Leak. When Johannes used those words, expressed in a tweet by Biden yesterday, he was highlighting Biden’s language and apparent attitudes, not his own. The intention of the commentary in the cartoon was to ridicule racism, not perpetuate it. In the context of Biden’s words, this is evident. Clearly some, including those without that context, have wrongly attributed Biden’s words to Johannes, and in doing so have attributed abhorrent and inaccurate motives to him. The Australian, and Johannes, opposes racism in all of its guises.”
News Corp in Australia has also been under fire dating back to 2018 when it published a cartoon of Serena Williams that sparked outrage from not only Australian residents, but also civil rights leaders.
Headlines5 days ago
T.I.’s Daughter, Zonnique, Announces Pregnancy
Headlines5 days ago
Wayfair Child Trafficking Conspiracy Proved to be False
News5 days ago
Man Proposes to Girlfriend with Candles, Burns Down Their Apartment
Entertainment2 days ago
Regina King Sells Directorial Debut Film to Amazon Studios
Headlines5 days ago
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis Admits Unemployment System is Rigged to Discourage People from Filing Claims
Crime5 days ago
Zephi Trevino, a Victim of Child Trafficking, Charged With Capital Murder
Justice2 days ago
Texas Soldiers Arrested in Child Prostitution Ring
Headlines4 days ago
Mnuchin Threatens to Make Taxpayers Pay Back COVID Money Unless Trump is Reelected