Lizzo has voiced her support for the FOMO festival’s ongoing bushfire fundraiser, asking festival goers to donate $1 towards state emergency services when they buy drinks at the festival bar.
What We Know:
- 24 people have been arrested for deliberately starting the blaze that has covered 14.5 million acres of land and have claimed the lives of 23 people.
- FOMO launched the bushfire fundraiser initiative on January 4th before it’s first stop in Brisbane.
- Lizzo is currently on the continent as a part of her World Tour where she has a stop in Queensland.
- In a video posted to her Instagram story, Lizzo held onto a stuffed Koala as she shared a heartfelt message explaining why this is not just an Australian issue but a Global crisis. The post read, “Being over here in Australia has really given me a real time view into what’s happening with these devastating fires and for all my followers who are mostly American, I just want to say that this is a Global crisis. I don’t want to politicize anything. This isn’t a political issue at this point, this is a human issue.”
- According to reports, FOMO has already raised $8,000 from the Brisbane show and are waiting on final numbers from the Adelaide show, proceeds from the donation drive will go to the areas effected.
Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this devastating crisis.
Jaleel White Launches Cannabis Brand ‘Purple Urkle’
The Family Matters actor launched his own cannabis brand in a partnership with 710 Labs.
What We Know:
- Jaleel White’s new cannabis line is called ‘ItsPurpl’, and features variants of a popular cannabis strain ‘Purple Urkle’. The brand will launch onto California dispensary shelves on April 20, 2021. The brand has plans to potentially grow more marketplaces in the future. White revealed in a statement to Forbes that he was frustrated in seeing there was no brand leader for the ‘Purple Urkle’ weed strain.
- Purple weed is made possible by the use of Flavonoids. Flavonoids are a class of plant pigments and the pigments work in combination with other chemicals to give plants distinctive and varied colors. The main Flavonoid responsible for purple cannabis is Anthocyanin. Anthocyanin gives plants a red, purple, or blue hue depending on the pH level. A more neutral pH level gives plants a purple color.
- ‘Purple Urkle’ has been around since cannabis was legalized in California. White’s variant of ‘Purple Urkle’ will be sold as eighths. Additionally, the brand will include vape pens with live rosin pods and Noodle Doinks. Noodle Doinks is a hand-rolled joint that has a rotini pasta filter. White has admitted that he plans to create edibles but states, “We gotta crawl before we can walk.”
- 710 Labs founder, Brad Melshenker, believed that collaboration with White made perfect sense. He revealed that he generally doesn’t do celebrity partnerships, but he and White are actually friends which makes the collaboration genuine. The two individuals met on a flight and connected over their shared love for cannabis.
710 Labs began in Boulder, Colorado in 2009 and has since moved its base to Los Angeles, California.
Daughter of Dennis Rodman Makes History in Her NWSL Debut
Trinity Rodman cemented her professional soccer debut with a goal on Saturday for Washington’s Spirit team.
What We Know:
- Rodman is 18 and just became the youngest player ever drafted in the league as the second overall pick in 2021. She subbed in for fellow teammate Kumi Yokoyama after 55 minutes and scored after playing five minutes during the game. Yokoyama originally put Spirit on the scoreboard with a goal. The Washington Spirit lost the game to North Carolina Courage in the National Woman’s Soccer League (NWSL).
- Rodman’s father, Dennis Rodman, won five NBA league championships with the Detroit Pistons and Chicago Bulls. Dennis is regarded as one of the most prolific defensive players and rebounders in NBA history. Despite her father’s notable accomplishments, she admits that her role model is actually her mother, Michelle.
“I just want everyone to know that my mom’s been my support system in everything in life and she’s my best friend and my rock,” Trinity stated after the game.
- The Spirit team is due to return to their home at Audi Field and host Racing Louisville FC in the challenge cup on Thursday. Prior to her pro career, Rodman was a finalist for U.S Soccer’s Young Female Player of the Year. She was the standout for the women’s U.S U20 National team. She scored eight goals and six assists at the 2020 CONCACAF U20 Women’s Championship last March.
- Rodman was originally supposed to play for Washington State as a freshman, but the 2020 NCAA season was postponed until the spring. Trinity plays the forward position and in 2018 played 164 minutes in the U-17 Women’s World Cup and provided one assist. She was the number one high school recruit in the country in 2020 and had extensive international experience, having played throughout the U.S National Team system.
So far, Rodman has significantly impacted Washington’s Spirit team and hopefully can continue to surprise senior players in the NWSL.
Kid Cudi Pays Tribute to Kurt Cobain with Floral Dress for SNL Debut
The performance took place days after the 27th anniversary of the Nirvana singer’s death.
What We Know:
- Rapper Scott Mescudi, a.k.a. Kid Cudi, performed songs from his latest album, Man on the Moon III: The Chosen, on this week’s Saturday Night Live episode. In both of his performances, “Tequila Shots” and “Sad People,” he paid tribute to lost celebrities.
- While singing “Tequila Shots,” Cudi wore a fuzzy olive-green cardigan. It was similar to one Kurt Cobain sported during Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged in New York months before his death in 1994. Underneath the cardigan, he donned a white shirt with a headshot of late SNL comedian Chris Farley, who passed away in 1997.
- When Cudi performed “Sad People,” he changed into a spaghetti-strap floral-print dress. This was another tribute to Cobain, as he wore similar apparel on the cover of “The Face” in 1993.
- Many fans praised Cudi for his attire and performance. They were happy that he was spreading awareness about suicide and prevention on SNL. Cobain committed suicide at the age of 27. Cudi has also struggled with mental health issues. In 2016, he registered himself into rehab for “depression and suicidal urges.” He made the statement on Facebook and signed the post with this real name. He described himself as “a damaged human swimming in a pool of emotions every day of my life” on the social media page. Additionally, he said his depression and anxiety ruled his life for as long as he could remember. He emphasized he would no longer hold himself back. His openness sparked a national conversation on Black men’s mental health.
- Cudi mentioned on Twitter that Off White CEO Virgil Abloh designed the dress for him. Furthermore, he mentioned that he wanted to commemorate Cobain somehow in the outfit.
In a follow-up tweet, Cudi announced he is collaborating with Off White. He also stated the dress he wore on SNL would be included in the collection. Cudi is continuing Cobain’s legacy of advocacy and acceptance to ensure no one else succumbs to their battle with mental illness.
Headlines4 days ago
Judge Refuses Request to Acquit Chauvin in Floyd’s Death
Headlines5 days ago
Ex-Buffalo Officer Fired for Reporting Chokehold to Receive Pension after Lawsuit Win
Coronavirus4 days ago
COVID-19 Booster Shot likely Needed within 12 Months, Pfizer’s CEO Says
Crime4 days ago
North Carolina Teacher Killed in Shootout with Drug Cartel
News5 days ago
White House Names Erika Moritsugu as Asian American and Pacific Islander Liaison
Coronavirus2 days ago
High Number of Babies and Children are Dying of COVID-19 in Brazil
Headlines1 day ago
Chris Cuomo Says Reform May Come When ‘White People’s Kids’ Are Killed by Police
Crime4 days ago
Video of Fatal Chicago Police Shooting of 13-Year-Old Adam Toledo Released