Tyler Perry prides himself on writing, producing, directing, and a times even starring in most of his films. Unfortunately, all that hard work has managed to earn him a whopping eight nominations for worst film of the year.
What We Know:
- Perry’s film A Madea Family Funeral, which he played four roles himself, managed to get a nod in several categories including: Worst Screenplay, Worst Picture, Worst Actress, Worst Screen Combo, Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel and not just one but two Worst Supporting Actor nominations.
- Cassie Davis, who played Aunt Bam in the film, was nominated for Worst Supporting Actress. The School Daze alum is competing against Dame Judi Dench, Jessica Chastain, Rebel Wilson, and Fenessa Pineda for the award.
- The Razzie’s normally air the night before the Oscars. Due to the 92nd Academy Awards’ early date, the date for the 2020 Golden Raspberry Awards is still to be determined.
- Organizers stated, “Due to the Oscar’s accelerated 2020 calendar which has stressed out the entire industry and is about to ruin the holidays for everyone, we here at the upper echelons of the Razzie Organization have decided to avoid anxiety and set our own schedule this year.”
- Since 1980, UCLA film graduates and film industry veterans presented the satirical ceremony as a parody of the Academy Awards.
The nominees for the 40th annual Razzies were announced via a video on the Razzie Awards YouTube channel.