A 9-year-old boy has been charged with trying to kill his 5-year-old sister by stabbing her with a kitchen knife in their Florida apartment, according to ABCNews.
What We Know:
- Officials said the 9-year-old boy has been charged with trying to kill his 5-year-old sister by stabbing her with a kitchen knife inside their Florida apartment last month. On Tuesday, he was charged with attempted first-degree murder and appeared in the central Florida City Court of Ocala on Wednesday, prosecutors advised.
- The mother of both children told police she left the apartment to get the mail and also candy for the children from a neighbor. As she returned, she stated she found the boy stabbing his sister with a kitchen knife in the bedroom.
- According to Ocala police, the 9-year-old told investigators that he thought of killing his sister two days before the January 28 stabbing.
- The affidavit advised that the 9-year-old said he went into the kitchen, got a knife and entered a bedroom with the knife behind his back. He said he approached his sister, grabbed her by the back of her neck and began stabbing her.
- He also allegedly told the police his sister was on roller skates and bent over attempting to show him something on the floor.
- The young boy will remain detained and is being represented by the public defender’s office, which did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment, advised ABCNews.
- The 5-year-old girl was released last Friday from the University of Florida Health Shands Hospital in Gainesville.
- The Marion County Clerk of Courts and Florida Department of Juvenile Justice said they could not comment on the status of the case because of the suspect’s age.
BNA will keep you updated with more information.