Retired NBA All-Star Dwayne Wade recently opened up about supporting his daughter Zaya, who identifies as a transgender girl.
What We Know:
- Dwayne Wade and Gabrielle Union have always been public abut their unconditional love and support for all of their children. But today, Wade shared a story on The Ellen DeGeneres Show about how his now daughter, and Union’s step-daughter, Zaya, came out to him as a transgender.
- During the interview, Wade said that one day his 12-year-old came home and asked to have a discussion about using she/her pronouns and going by a different name than the one that she was given at birth.
- Wade then continued, “When our child comes home with a question, when our child comes home with an issue, when our child comes home with anything, it’s our job as parents to listen to that, to give them the best information we can, the best feedback we can, And that doesn’t change because sexuality is now involved.”
- Union posted a video on Instagram Tuesday morning to introduce “Zaya” to the world.
- “Wade told Ellen DeGeneres, “First of all, me and my wife, Gabrielle Union, we are proud parents of a child in the LGBTQ+ community, and we’re proud allies as well.”
- On a podcast Wade stated, “ I grew up with the same perspective as a lot of these people out here that’s a little ignant. I had to look myself in the mirror and say, What if your son comes hime and tells you he’s gay? What are you going to do? How are you going to be? How are you going to act? It ain’t about him. He knows who he is. It’s about you. Who are you?”
- Gabrielle Union and Wade are seeking more information to educate themselves about the LGBTQ+ African American people to better understand their son’s transition.
“What’s the point of being on this earth if you’re trying to be someone you’re not?” Hello world, Meet Zaya Wade.
Meet Zaya. She's compassionate, loving, whip smart and we are so proud of her. It’s Ok to listen to, love & respect your children exactly as they are. Love and light good people. pic.twitter.com/G2lLVdD2VT
— Gabrielle Union (@itsgabrielleu) February 11, 2020