Former Clark Atlanta University (CAU) student Jordyn Jones and Barron Brantley both, accused of killing CAU Senior Alexis Crawford plead not guilty.
What We Know:
- Firstly, Monday afternoon, the accused couple appeared before the court; tension became high, as Crawford’s parents and siblings watched as the accused killers entered the court. It was the family’s first encounter seeing the two in court in person.
- Alexis Crawford, 22, CAU Senior’s accused murderers, both plead not guilty; the court charged the couple with two counts of felony murder, aggravated assaults, and false imprisonment. Additionally, the court charged them with concealing the death of another.
- Furthermore, the court charged Jones’ boyfriend with aggravated sodomy for alleged sexually assaulting Alexis Crawford four days before her murder. Reports revealed that Crawford filed a police report on the incident. Brantley has prior legal records following: robbery, family violence, cruelty to children, hindering persons making an emergency telephone call, and theft by taking.
- “Neither Barron Brantley or Jordan Jones should ever see the light of day,” Markel Hutchins (Crawford Family spokesperson) said. After the hearing, he added, “The moral thing for them to do, the right thing for them to do would be for them to accept legal responsibility.”
- According to CBS46, a family friend said the Jones family is “completely devastated by this”.
- CBS46, also reported the family friend said Jones’ parents are high school sweethearts who have been married for 30 years. Her father is a deacon in his Detroit church. Also, he said the family had “no indication” of Jones’ involvement in a murder and described the situation as her “parent’s worst nightmare”.
- Alexis Crawford vanished from her off-campus apartment and authorities discovered Crawford’s body in a park in DeKalb County back in November. Officials announced the medical examiner’s office ruled her death the result of asphyxiation.
The couple should appear in trial again on March 30.
Nigeria State Says Rapists Will Face Surgical Castration, Death Penalty
The Governor of Nigeria’s Kaduna state signed and executed a law that states, men charged with rape will face surgical castration, and anyone who rapes a child under age 14 will face the death penalty.
What We Know:
- Governor Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai, stated these drastic measures are to protect children from serious crimes. Its not only men who will be facing heavy punishment, but any women charged of raping children may also be punished with bilateral salpingectomy, or the removal of their fallopian tubes, and death.
- The former law had a maximum penalty of 21 years incarceration for the rape of an adult and life incarceration for the rape of a child.
- Related cases of rape in Nigeria have sky-rocketed significantly during the months of coronavirus limitations, urging the state’s governors to declare a state of emergency. Women’s groups have called for stricter measures, including the death penalty.
- Kaduna state’s new law is the strictest against rape in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country.
- This new law comes two days after Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan proposed surgical castration as punishment due to the violent gang rape to a woman who ran out of gas on a lonely highway in the country’s Punjab province.
- Here in the United States, Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed into law a bill ordering “chemical castration” last year as a punishment for convicted child molesters as a circumstance of parole. The law would require sex offenders whose crimes have to do with children under 13 to simply receive medication meant to lower their testosterone levels and sex drive.
- Seven other U.S. states have such penalties on the books, but it is seemingly rarely used and is highly controversial.
Maybe other states will follow in Nigeria’s shoes and see that leading by example can make a difference and save our children!
Lawmakers Introduce Senate Bill Making Attacks on Police Officers a Federal Crime
Several U.S. senators have presented the “Protect and Serve Act”, legislation that would create federal penalties for those who purposely target local, state, or federal law enforcement officers with violence.
What We Know:
- The Protect and Serve Act was presented on Thursday by Senator Thom Tillis of North Carolina.
Proud to sign on to Protect & Serve Act. Criminals who target police should pay the highest price. Our brave men and women in law enforcement put their lives on the line, and the cowards who seek to harm them need to be sent a clear message: Target police, and you will pay. https://t.co/JC9Tqiug5a
— Senator Mike Braun (@SenatorBraun) September 17, 2020
- This bill would make it a federal crime to intentionally cause or attempt to cause serious bodily injury to an officer, with up to 10 years in prison for convictions. If the crime committed includes murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, or attempted kidnapping, the felon could receive a life sentence.
- Senator Tillis mentioned police officers in North Carolina and across the country risk their lives every day to keep communities safe. The rise of these insensible acts of violence towards law enforcement officers, and causing injury or loss of life, is entirely unacceptable.
- Senator Tillis also states he is committed to supporting the men and women who took an oath to protect us. This is why he introduces this bill that will create federal penalties for felons who attack police officers. Making reference to Sheriff Deputy from North Carolina Ryan Hendrix and officers in Los Angeles, hence its time to pass such a bill, letting criminals know the acts of violence are unacceptable, and there is no escape from justice.
- The Protect and Serve Act has been endorsed by multiple law enforcement associations, including the Fraternal Order of Police and Major County Sheriffs of America.
- Tillis said the Protect and Serve Act would face this problem by giving federal prosecutors the instruments needed to hold those responsible who target law enforcement for assault and attacks.
- This law would pertain to federal law enforcement officers and would also pertain to state and local officers in situations where the federal government may establish jurisdiction over the case.
The proposed bill passed the House by a vote of 382 to 35 with support from both parties.
Eric Trump to Comply with New York AG’s Subpoena Only after Election Day
The president’s son, Eric Trump, has come out and said he will finally be willing to comply with a subpoena from the New York Attorney General’s office’s probe of the Trump Organization issued by Attorney General Letitia James. The only condition is that it would have to be done after the U.S general election.
What We Know:
- According to a Thursday court filing, the chosen timeframe after the upcoming presidential election aims to avoid “any appearance of politicizing” the process. Eric Trump’s attorneys also explained that he is willing to appear and gave several dates to proceed after the Nov. 3rd election. They noted that one of the main reasons was simply because of Eric Trump’s “extreme travel schedule and related unavailability”.
“In this regard, we note that the OAG investigation has been ongoing for approximately 18 months and that additional examinations are scheduled in October 2020 for certain other individuals,” stated the filing.
- To confirm Eric’s claims, the filing elaborated how “given all the circumstances and the fact that counsel’s requested dates are, for all practical purposes, just 30 days after other scheduled depositions, and given the importance of avoiding any appearance of politicizing the investigatory process”.
- Just last month, James reportedly urged a judge to force Eric Trump, along with the Trump Organization, to comply with subpoenas in an effort to carry on with the office’s investigation of President Trump. A related investigation is looking into alleged illegal inflation of his assets to reap loans and appeal to investors. “No one is above the law, period,” responded James to the Thursday filing.
NEWS: Eric Trump says he’s willing to be interviewed by the New York AG’s office but not until after election
— Ana Cabrera (@AnaCabrera) September 17, 2020
- That same month, James also accused Eric Trump of refusing to comply with a subpoena for his testimony. According to NBC News, she alleged that the Trump Organization and its lawyers were setting a motion that would “shield thousands of documents from investigators”.
- The attorney general went on to say in a statement that “we cannot comment on the particular steps we’re taking on specific litigation,” but she made it clear that they wouldn’t allow any outside force control have the investigation moves forward or allow anyone to “evade a lawful subpoena”.
The related investigation opened by the New York attorney general last year followed President Trump’s former attorney Michael Cohen, who testified to Congress that the president tampered with financial statements in order to benefit from better insurance rates, loans, and tax breaks.
Coronavirus4 days ago
Mayor de Blasio Will Furlough Everyone in Office, Including Himself
Coronavirus4 days ago
Big 10 to Begin Football Season in October
Headlines3 days ago
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Affectionately RBG, has Died at Age 87
Crime5 days ago
Officials in Rochester, N.Y., Tried to Withhold Information About Daniel Prude’s Death, Documents Show
Education4 days ago
Survey Finds “Shocking” Lack of Holocaust Knowledge Among Millennials, Gen Z
Headlines4 days ago
Breonna Taylor’s Family Reaches $12 Million Settlement with City of Louisville
Headlines5 days ago
Colin Kaepernick Calls Out NFL Hypocrisy in Racial Justice ‘Propaganda’
Coronavirus5 days ago
Netflix Acquires Zendaya, John David Washington Romance ‘Malcolm & Marie’