Former Clark Atlanta University (CAU) student Jordyn Jones and Barron Brantley both, accused of killing CAU Senior Alexis Crawford plead not guilty.
What We Know:
- Firstly, Monday afternoon, the accused couple appeared before the court; tension became high, as Crawford’s parents and siblings watched as the accused killers entered the court. It was the family’s first encounter seeing the two in court in person.
- Alexis Crawford, 22, CAU Senior’s accused murderers, both plead not guilty; the court charged the couple with two counts of felony murder, aggravated assaults, and false imprisonment. Additionally, the court charged them with concealing the death of another.
- Furthermore, the court charged Jones’ boyfriend with aggravated sodomy for alleged sexually assaulting Alexis Crawford four days before her murder. Reports revealed that Crawford filed a police report on the incident. Brantley has prior legal records following: robbery, family violence, cruelty to children, hindering persons making an emergency telephone call, and theft by taking.
- “Neither Barron Brantley or Jordan Jones should ever see the light of day,” Markel Hutchins (Crawford Family spokesperson) said. After the hearing, he added, “The moral thing for them to do, the right thing for them to do would be for them to accept legal responsibility.”
- According to CBS46, a family friend said the Jones family is “completely devastated by this”.
- CBS46, also reported the family friend said Jones’ parents are high school sweethearts who have been married for 30 years. Her father is a deacon in his Detroit church. Also, he said the family had “no indication” of Jones’ involvement in a murder and described the situation as her “parent’s worst nightmare”.
- Alexis Crawford vanished from her off-campus apartment and authorities discovered Crawford’s body in a park in DeKalb County back in November. Officials announced the medical examiner’s office ruled her death the result of asphyxiation.
The couple should appear in trial again on March 30.