Utah Jazz star Rudy Gobert has announced plans to donate half a million bucks to help provide financial relief for hourly employees at his team’s arena.
What We Know:
- Employees at the Utah Jazz arena who are most affected by the NBA suspending the rest of basketball season will be taken care of thanks to Rudy Gobert.
- Gobert is the first NBA player diagnosed with the potentially deadly COVID-19 virus.
- He previously apologized via his Instagram account after testing positive and subsequently causing the league to cancel the rest of the season.
- Gobert said, “I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of concern and support over the last 24 hours. I have gone through so many emotions since learning of my diagnosis… mostly fear, anxiety, and embarrassment.”
- He then explained in the post that he wasn’t aware he contracted the virus. Gobert said, “I was careless and make no excuse. I hope my story serves as a warning and causes everyone to take this seriously.”
- Gobert has pledged a $200,000 donation to aid part-time employees at the arena. He is also giving $100,000 each to support related services in Utah and Oklahoma City. He will also contribute $100,000 euros for his native country of France, for people who are in need of childcare assistance, healthcare workers, as well as caregivers to the elderly.
Helping others while being quarantined is soothing to him and is the only way he feels necessary to help others when they are also in need.
View this post on Instagram
I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of concern and support over the last 24 hours. I have gone through so many emotions since learning of my diagnosis…mostly fear, anxiety, and embarrassment. The first and most important thing is I would like to publicly apologize to the people that I may have endangered. At the time, I had no idea I was even infected. I was careless and make no excuse. I hope my story serves as a warning and causes everyone to take this seriously. I will do whatever I can to support using my experience as way to educate others and prevent the spread of this virus . I am under great care and will fully recover. Thank you again for all your support. I encourage everyone to take all of the steps to stay safe and healthy. Love.