Kenya Barris had to contend with accusations of colorism when a photo of the #blackAF cast went viral in December, with many in the black community noticing a decidedly fairer skin cast.
What We Know:
- The Netflix original series stars Barris as a fictionalized version of himself and Rashida Jones as his wife Joya. Barris and Joya’s children are played by Genneya Walton, Iman Benson, Scarlet Spencer, Justin Claiborne, Ravi Cabot-Conyers, and Richard Gardenhire Jr. #blackAF is executive produced by Barris, Jones, and Hale Rothstein.
- Some socia media users accused Barris of “colorism,” and said he repeatedly casts biracial women and children in his shows, which include Mixed-ish and Grown-ish.
- “Kenya Barris gotta stop putting “black” on stuff if he’s just gonna use light-skinned and mixed-race black people,” one person responded to the Netflix tweet.
- Barris quickly responded to the criticism saying “Guys this is supposed to be real. What do you think Rashida and I’s kids look like?” he tweeted.
- Regarding the casting of his actors, Barris said “These kids look like my kids. My very Black REAL kids & they face discrimination everyday from others outside our culture and I don’t want them to also see it from us.”
- Barris was married to Rania “Rainbow” Barris for 20 years before he filed for divorce in August of last year. Another person tweeted: “There is something amiss with how Kenya Barris shows are cast, and to be blunt, that thing is colorism, and stereotypes.”
- Here are a few of the responses for Barris’ call for realism:
*light bulb* you do know that you can make a show about a non-mixed black man who's married to a non-mixed black woman…right? like who's demanding that you and Rashida be the leads?
— Cal Frost (@irvsmiff) December 22, 2019
We are all aware as black people that SOME black families do actually look like this. But, it's the pattern when all black characters on all of your shows are pretty much just light. That is why people are reacting to this. (2)
— Wakanda Shit Is That? (@unemployedfatty) December 22, 2019
- The trailer for the series promises some great laughs. One of the best moments of the trailer is when Barris is on a video conference with other black creators such as Issa Rae, Will Packer, Ava DuVernay, Lena Waithe, and Tim Story. Story just rips into black-ish saying, “black-ish seems to tap into the hearts and minds of 55-year-old white women”.
What do you think of the trailer and the fair skinned cast? Let us know in the comments.
Dave Chappelle Tests Positive for COVID-19 Cancels Texas Shows
Dave Chappelle tested positive for the coronavirus just prior to his comedy show scheduled for Thursday, demanding his future appearances to be canceled, a spokeswoman said.
What We Know:
- Chappelle was expected to play Thursday through Sunday at Stubb’s Waller Creek Amphitheater in Austin, Texas. “Dave Chappelle is quarantined after testing positive for COVID-19,” the comedian is asymptomatic his representative Carla Sims said in a statement.
“His remaining shows at Stubbs Waller Creek Amphitheater in Austin, TX have been canceled, and ticket holders should contact their point of purchase for refunds,” Sims said in a statement.
- Live Nation was the producer for the plays, which had a hefty $1,600 per table (plus tax and unspecified fees) entry for a six-person table, or $1,400 for four people.
- Sims said Chappelle played socially-distanced shows in Ohio since June and moved his shows to Austin through the winter. Rapid testing for the public and daily tests for Chappelle and his team were executed.
- TMZ, which first published about Chappelle’s positive test, completed the first of the five shows in Austin Wednesday night in the stand, with the rest programmed for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
View this post on Instagram
- Chappelle was placed to team up with Joe Rogan on two nights. The other three dates were billed as “Dave Chappelle and Friends,” but no specifics on who would appear were given.
- Rogan was programmed to perform at the shows Friday and Saturday. He apologized on Instagram to followers for the canceled shows, announcing they’d be rescheduled. A post earlier this week confirmed Rogan at Stubb’s with Chappelle and other celebrities, including Donnell Rawlings, Ron White, and Elon Musk.
Refunds will be possible for ticketholders at their time of purchase. Wishing Dave Chappelle a very quick and healthy recovery!
Dj Khaled and Fat Joe Launch Joint OnlyFans
What We Know:
- Khaled and Joe have determined to launch their OnlyFans page on Instagram. The profile is now ready, and He announced their collaboration news. He went to Instagram and shared a video of the pair hanging out and playing a friendly basketball game. In his caption, he mentioned that they were formally bringing the spotlight to OnlyFans. He also stated that he told Joe that they needed a legendary rematch whom he got.
- He mentioned to fans, “If I were you, put your money on me, remember all I do is win.” He encouraged his fans to subscribe and tune in on January 25. He also said that on their OnlyFans, they will be posting motivational and inspirational talks and will be sharing uplifting insights.
View this post on Instagram
- Fans will also get a look at Khaled and Joe’s personal lives, such as their games, hangouts, and many more on the page. Fans hurried to the comments section to show love and excitement. The news has gone viral on Twitter.
- Complex issued a statement, where Khaled expressed, ‘We’ll be sharing content that’s not anywhere else, it’s the light.’ Joe added, ‘We also wanted to create a community that’s full of positivity and hypes each other up! We want to get to know our actual fans.’ Fans can join by subscribing to their account and paying a total of USD 20 per month.
- Khaled gained fame as a radio host in the 1990s on the radio station 99 Jamz. He published his debut studio album .. the album in 2006 and earned positive reviews for his album. Later, he published other albums such as We the Best, We Global, and Victory. His albums charted the US Billboard. He is the Annual Grammy Awards winner. Fat Joe set up his label named Terror Squad. He is better known for songs such as Lean Back, Make It Rain, All the Way Up, and many more. His single Flow Joe reached number one on the Billboard Hot Rap Songs.
This is an excellent opportunity for both artists and fans to have more of a personal experience in getting to know each other. It’s great to see artists sharing more of their lives with their fans!
Vogue Magazine to Release New Kamala Harris Cover After Controversy
After facing controversy, Vogue will release a new Kamala Harris cover for the magazine.
What We Know:
- January 10, Vogue was faced with a controversy surrounding Vice President Kamala Harris on the magazine’s cover. Vogue announced the cover on Twitter with the caption, “Vice President-elect @KamalaHarris is our February cover star!”
Vice President-elect @KamalaHarris is our February cover star!
Making history was the first step. Now Harris has an even more monumental task: to help heal a fractured America—and lead it out of crisis. Read the full profile: https://t.co/W5BQPTH7AU pic.twitter.com/OCFvVqTlOk
— Vogue Magazine (@voguemagazine) January 10, 2021
- The previous cover was criticized for its poor photo quality. Kamala appeared against a green wall with a pink sheet; she wore a dark pantsuit and Converse sneakers.
- According to U.S Magazine, Harris and her team were told that the blue suit photo would be the one on the cover. They were surprised to see that the more informal photo was chosen.
- Vogue’s editor-in-chief Anna Wintour discussed the controversy. “Obviously we have heard and understood the reaction to the print cover and I just want to reiterate that it was absolutely not our intention to, in any way, diminish the importance of the vice president-elect’s incredible victory.” Additionally, Wintour stated that no agreement was ever made about which cover would be used.
- Wintour discussed the decision to use the more informal photo. She believed that the image represented the state of our society better. “We are in the midst…of the most appalling pandemic that is taking lives by the minute, and we felt to reflect this tragic moment in global history, a much less formal picture, something that was very, very accessible, and approachable, and really reflected the hallmark of the Biden-Harris campaign.”
The new cover is now available, released on inauguration day. Harris will be the first female and the first person of color sworn in as vice-president.
Headlines3 days ago
Anonymous Donor Gives $40 Million to NAACP to Fund Education of 50 New Civil Rights Lawyers
Politics3 days ago
The Trumps Leave the White House for the Last Time
Crime2 days ago
U.S. Soldier Arrested in Plot to Blow Up 9/11 NYC Memorial
Coronavirus3 days ago
Cuomo Wants New York to Buy Vaccine Directly from Pfizer
Headlines1 day ago
Kamala Harris Nephew-In-Law Stole the Show at Inauguration with A Pair of Dior Jordan 1s
Entertainment2 days ago
Pharrell Partners With Georgia Tech and Amazon for New Music Coding Initiative
Education2 days ago
College Board Drops SAT’s Optional Essay and Subject Tests to Reduce Demands
Headlines1 day ago
Biden Has Already Fired Three of Trump’s Worst Appointees