What We Know:
- On Monday’s airing of The View, conservative co-host McCain weighed in on a recent feud between Obama and his successor, saying that she was not surprised by Democrats defending Obama’s jabs at Trump’s leadership.
- McCain and the rest of the hosts of The View were discussing the recent comments by Obama about the former administration where he said, “More than anything, this pandemic has fully, finally torn back the curtain on the idea that so many of the folks in charge know what they’re doing.
- “I will say … the culture war that that I believe is real and is raging in this country, I believe, was ushered in with his administration and exacerbated in the Trump administration. And if the election were held today, I do believe Trump would be reelected,” McCain said. “And I think at a certain point, we have to start talking to each other in the middle, and we have to start talking about the faults on both sides because he was not a perfect president, and I don’t think perfect presidents would have ushered in the era of Trump.”
- McCain also accused the left of making Obama “nothing short of a saint.” In response to that remark, her co-host Whoopi Goldberg expressed that the 44th president was not “perfect,” and neither was any other president.
- “This culture war, I’m sure it’s out there because people were kind of shocked I guess when it turned out that Obama was black because I can’t see any other reason other than that to spark a culture war when he came in and took care of the business at hand that needed to be done,” Goldberg said.
- This is not the first-time conservatives have accused Obama of initiating a “culture war.” Some conservatives view Obama’s “assault on the liberty of religious institutions,” as one of his greatest flaws.
Many on Twitter quickly condemned her remarks, causing “Meghan McCain” to trend.
“The person that people were racist towards is what made them super racist.” – Meghan McCain pretty much. https://t.co/DyFioRZTH8
— The Hoarse Whisperer (@HoarseWisperer) May 18, 2020
This is the kind of bullshit that Republicans like Meghan McCain will use as an excuse to vote for Trump this fall. https://t.co/BC5PjsFPUj
— Tom Brennan (@Brennanator) May 19, 2020
John McCain before he died asked Barack Obama to speak at his funeral
So to watch his daughter bash the man that her father wanted to speak over his casket says more that Meghan McCain is just a horrible fucking person
— ABlackWomanWhoDontGiveAF*ck (@battletested5) May 18, 2020