Danger sets in the U.S as The New York Times publishes Tom Cotton’s use of military force.
What We Know:
- The New York Times faced a backlash late Wednesday by running an Op-Ed and publishing it as part of the news. Many of the staff members came out and “shamed” the Times for publishing this opinion-based article and igniting more fire as well as danger in the community.
- In the wake of the many riots all over the U.S, President Trump threatened the use of the United States army by the Insurrection Act to act as needed and use physical force against protesters.
- Republican Senator, Tom Cotton supported the President’s threat and urged the US army to show “an overwhelming show of force” to restore order.
- The New York Times employees and subscribers revolted over Tom Cotton’s remarks. Below are a few tweets out of the many that responded:
Surreal and horrifying to wake up on the morning of June 4 – the 31st anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown – to this headline. pic.twitter.com/vNtiFz3vqq
— Amy Qin (@amyyqin) June 4, 2020
Love your work Jenna, but had to cancel @nytimes today for this reason
— Ceda DEFUND THE POLICE Shiiiiiiiiong (@slobear) June 3, 2020
- The union that represents the Times staff issued the following statement, “Though we understand the Op-Ed desk’s responsibility to publish a diverse array of opinions, we find the publication of this essay to be an irresponsible choice”.
- Editorial page editor at The New York Times, James Bennet published a post on his Twitter account regarding the importance of publishing the Op-ed post of Tom Cotton. He stated that The New York Times knows how painful and “dangerous” it could be. However, they “believe that is one reason it requires public scrutiny and debate”.
The Times editorial board has forcefully defended the protests as patriotic and criticized the use of force, saying earlier today that police too often have “responded with more violence — against protesters, journalists and bystanders.” https://t.co/XdjnhuAVax
— James Bennet (@JBennet) June 3, 2020
- Executive Editor of The New York Times stated the difference between opinion pieces and news articles and how they are both published on the home page but they are not news.
- Following the union that represents the Times, the NewsGuild of New York that represents many Times journalists said in a statement that the “Op-Ed promotes hate”. NewsGuild also stated that “media organizations have a responsibility to hold power to account, not amplify voices of power without context and caution”.
Our statement: pic.twitter.com/0XgUBv9IIv
— NewsGuild of New York (@nyguild) June 4, 2020
- Along with several sources dropping The New York Times because of the published article, it has also caused about 800 staff members to sign a letter protesting its publication.
Following the uproar from staff and subscribers spokeswoman, Eileen Murphy for The New York Times later backtracked their support on James Bennet’s approval to publish the article and said the following: “This review made clear that a rushed editorial process led to the publication of an Op-Ed that did not meet our standards”.
Awkwafina to Donate Music Sales to Help NYC’s At-Risk Chinatown Businesses
Awkwafina has pledged to donate her quarterly music sale profits to help small businesses affected by the coronavirus pandemic in New York City’s Chinatown.
What We Know:
- Nora Lum, known professionally as actress and musician Awkwafina, shared on Instagram that she will be donating to the grassroots organization “Welcome to Chinatown” along with two other initiatives, including rapper China Mac’s movement #TheyCantBurnUsAll. China Mac said the slogan #TheyCantBurnUsAll formed after an 89-year-old Asian woman was set on fire earlier this year in Brooklyn.
View this post on Instagram
My great grandma was a seamstress on the lower east side and lived in this apartment on orchard st. She was the kind of Asian gma that only used her oven as a storage closet for toilet paper. At 6 i saw someone nodding out on heroin on her block, and asked my dad if he was sleeping. I remember thinking it was weird that my dad felt unsafe there, while my great grandma traipsed around unphased by anything. She was strong. Years later I was dragged to this “cool new” hipster-infested bar and stumbled out, only to be smack dab in front of my great grandmas building – unrecognizable in a sea of coffee bars, Whole Foods and luxury hotels. New York is always changing, but never without a constant reminder of its history. My great grandpa opened a restaurant in the Bronx, then the first chinese-American restaurant in Flushing. To see what the pandemic has done to my city, and especially it’s Chinatowns is devastating. With a rising rate of xenophobic hate crimes, and an economic standstill leading to closures of legendary New York staples that I grew up with. I owe it to my family to help struggling businesses during this time. After donating last quarters music sales to the efforts of BLM, I will be donating this quarters to the longevity fund and two other initiatives that aim to provide relief to small businesses across the boroughs. …History matters. Times are hard right now. If you’re in a position to donate to our city, please look into @welcome.to.chinatown and the amazing work they’ve been doing to help these businesses. Also the #theycantburnusall movement helmed by @chinamac – please Add more in the comments!
- In Awkwafina’s post, she shared about her own family’s deep history with New York City, citing her grandfather’s restaurants in the Bronx and Flushing, Queens. She then goes on to say how deeply it has suffered from the coronavirus pandemic, not only from the economic toll it has taken on businesses, but also the rising rates of xenophobic hate crimes on the Chinese community.
“To see what the pandemic has done to my city, and especially it’s Chinatowns is devastating,” she wrote. “With a rising rate of xenophobic hate crimes, and an economic standstill leading to closures of legendary New York staples that I grew up with, I owe it to my family to help struggling businesses during this time.”
- Co-founder of Welcome to Chinatown, Jennifer Tam, said Awkwafina’s contribution will be critical in helping fund its grant program, The Longevity Fund. The Longevity Fund was created to help 40 local businesses sustain their operations and to combat financial loss due to the Covid-19 crisis. “Chinatown is very multigeneration and has a very rich history. It’s a culturally significant enclave for Asian Americans,” Tam said.”When Awkwafina shared her personal story and posted that she was donating, it was a pleasant surprise for us, but it aligns with the core of the Welcome to Chinatown mission.”
- Since it’s launch six months ago, Welcome to Chinatown has funded $5,000 for 10 grantees, including all kinds of small businesses, among them restaurants, grocery and retail stores, health markets, a dance studio, a bakery, and a physical therapy clinic. Tam and her co-founder, Victoria Lee, shared they were compelled to start the movement after they witnessed their neighborhood suffer because of the virus and the xenophobia that came with it.
- The city’s Commission on Human Rights reported that 42 percent of complaints filed in March and April were specifically anti-Asian, with a drastic increase of Anti-Asian hate crimes. A website, “Stop AAPI Hate,” which includes a tool to self-report harassment, discrimination, and violent attacks, reported in mid-May, nearly 1,900 incidents of anti-Asian discrimination across the country. In August, the NYPD announced the formation of an Asian hate crimes task force.
- Tam also shared that they noticed the potential for an inequity gap for immigrant and minority-owned small businesses who weren’t going to benefit from federal loan programs like the Paycheck Protection Program. A report in April from the nonprofit Center for Responsible Lending found that about 75% of Asian-owned businesses stood virtually no chance of receiving loans under the program through mainstream banks or credit unions.
Awkwafina’s fame began her viral music videos. She is best known for her movie performances in The Farewell and Crazy Rich Asians as well as for co-creating and starring in the Comedy Central series Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens.
Vanessa Bryant Sues L.A. County Sheriff Over Leaked Kobe Bryant Crash Photos
Vanessa Bryant puts in place a lawsuit against the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and Sheriff Alex Villanueva for photos being leaked showing the helicopter crash that killed the NBA legend, her husband, Kobe Bryant, their 13-year-old daughter Gianna, along with seven other friends and passengers in January 2020.
What We Know:
- After that devastating crash in January, reports emerged that graphic photos of the victims were being shared. Vanessa’s lawyer stated she was distraught by all the news and stories.
- This current lawsuit seeks damages for negligence, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Vanessa claims officials did not contact her about the helicopter crash, which she states in the filing, left her feeling “confused and distraught”.
- There was a previous wrongful death lawsuit filed by Vanessa against the helicopter conductor who was involved in the crash that killed her husband, Kobe Bryant, and their daughter Gianna Bryant.
- The lawsuit also stated, no less than eight sheriff’s agents present at the crash site took their personal cell phones and took photos of the deceased children, parents, and coaches. The officers took these photos for their own personal satisfaction.
- After she inquired more information on the leaked photos, the lawsuit stated an attorney for the sheriff’s department answered that the department had no legal responsibility to respond to her questions and would not do so.
- Sheriff Alex Villanueva previously mentioned to reporters that eight deputies took or shared graphic photos of the scene, and he ordered the images to be deleted. The sheriff stated the department has a policy against taking and sharing crime scene photos, but it does not pertain to accident scenes.
- The claim also mentions that Vanessa Bryant is worried that her daughters might find or see those horrific pictures online.
Gavin Newsom, California governor, has not yet signed a bill that would make it a misdemeanor for first responders to take prohibited photos of dead people in the scene of an accident or crime. The crash photos put in motion the legislation.
Trooper Who Faced Firing in Black Man’s Death Dies in Crash
A Louisiana state trooper, known for his role in an in-custody death of a Black man earlier last year, has died. The death was caused by a single-vehicle highway crash and happened a brief time before he would have been fired.
What We Know:
- Chief investigator for the Ouachita Parish Coroner’s Office Warren Lee stated that Master Trooper Chris Hollingsworth was the fatal victim. He was pronounced dead on Tuesday after a short hospitalization. Hollingsworth was reportedly airlifted to Shreveport early Monday immediately following the crash on Interstate 20 near Monroe. No further details have been given on the accident.
- Hours prior to the fatal crash, Hollingsworth was notified that State Police had the intention to terminate his position as a result of his involvement in the death of Ronald Greene. An internal investigation on the May 2019 death of the 49-year-old Black man drew a considerable amount of criticism and developed into a federal civil rights investigation.
- Authorities initially noted that Greene’s death was caused by a high-speed chase in rural northern Louisiana, which allegedly began over a traffic violation and ended with his vehicle impacting a tree. Greene’s family accuses troopers of using excessive force while taking him into custody.
- Gov. John Bel Edwards said Tuesday that he had not seen footage of the incident himself, but pledged to make it public once investigations conclude. “When that happens,” he said, “the videos will be shown”. Greene’s family has also called for “the immediate arrest of the remaining men responsible for this tragic and unnecessary death”.
“Trooper Hollingsworth’s family has the finality of knowing exactly how he died as their community mourns his loss,” said Lee Merritt, a prominent civil rights attorney representing the family. “The family of Ronald Greene, however, is still being denied the same finality by the State of Louisiana.”
- Greene’s family added another federal wrongful-death lawsuit last May to what seems to be a growing list of similar cases this year. They accuse troopers of brutalizing Greene, using a stun gun on him three times, and beating him before covering up details on his death.
- The controversial case reawakened over the past week when Greene’s family released graphic photographs of the aftermath, and photos showing his car with little damage. This immediately sparked new questions on whether Greene received those injuries during the crash, as authorities told the family, or were inflicted by the troopers when arresting him.
The only considerable remark by State Police on Greene’s death was citing that he was resisting arrest and a struggle went down with troopers. The agency recently opened an internal investigation into the case last month. Before Hollingsworth’s death, he was placed on paid leave earlier this month and no word has been given on the other five troopers involved.
Election 20202 days ago
Foot Locker Stores Will Turn Into Voter Registration Sites
Crime4 days ago
Nigeria State Says Rapists Will Face Surgical Castration, Death Penalty
Business2 days ago
Microsoft to Buy Bethesda for $7.5 Billion to Boost Xbox
Election 20201 day ago
Today is National Voter Registration Day! Get registered!
Coronavirus1 day ago
28-year-old Houston Doctor Dies after Battle with Coronavirus
Crime4 days ago
Lawmakers Introduce Senate Bill Making Attacks on Police Officers a Federal Crime
Crime2 days ago
Solicitation Charges Against Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Will Likely Be Dropped
Education2 days ago
Deion Sanders to be new Jackson State Head Football Coach