Miami Gardens officer, Jordy Yanes Martel was charged after being seen on video putting his knee into a woman’s neck outside of a strip club.
What We Know:
- Martel is seen on video tasing 33-year-old Safiya Satchell. In the video, Martel is kneeling on Satchell’s neck and he stun her twice in the stomach. According to the video, Satchell challenged the officers to do something to her and Martel proceeded to pull her out of her car.
- Satchell was at the strip club and had a dispute regarding her food order. She threw money at the waitress and the club manager then called Martel who was there working off duty. Satchell went back to sit in her Mercedes-Benz when she was approached by Martel. According to Forbes, Satchell was pregnant at the time of the incident.
- Martel arrested Satchell and charged her with battery of a cop and resisting with violence but those charges have since been dismissed. Martel himself was charged with battery and official misconduct. It has also been released that he lied in his initial report and has been additionally charged with falsifying details to the report.
- Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle says, “As a result of Martel’s actions, Ms. Satchel suffered abrasions to her stomach from the tasers, bruises, and abrasions on her arms, and bruises on her legs. By filing these criminal charges today against former Miami Gardens officer Jordy Yanes Martel, we are saying that these actions are just plain wrong.”
- It has not yet been released whether or not the incident caused Satchell to lose her baby. Since the incident occured, Martel has been fired from his job as a Miami Gardens police officer.
Miami Gardens mayor, Oliver Gilbert says if an officer violates their professional standards, they will be terminated.