fbpx
Connect with us

Sports

Atlanta Braves Unlikely To Change Team Name

Published

on

The Atlanta Braves have made it clear that they have no intentions on changing their team name, according the the Associated Press.

What We Know:

  • This announcement comes after both Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Indians and the NFL’s Washington Redskins have both announced there are talks regarding the future of their teams names and identities.
  • The Atlanta Braves, who moved to Atlanta in 1966, have held on to the name ever since inception when the team resided in Boston starting in 1871.
  • The Braves made a statement regarding their connection with current Native Americans tribes and said, “The Atlanta Braves have a meaningful commitment to honor the Native American community and we are excited about working together to ensure this happens.”
  • Since the Braves moved to Atlanta, fans have participated in a in-game spectacle called the ‘Tomahawk Chop’, which is accompanied by a presumed Native American war chant.

  • The chant can be seen as offensive to Native Americans, and while the Braves aren’t the only team to partake in the chant they did previously promote the chant at all of their home games.
  • According to Kevin Rosenthal of The Athletic , although the Braves have no intention on changing their name they have had discussions about wether or not they will continue the use of the Tomahawk Chop.

The Braves will have ample amount of time to determine if they want to continue the use of the Tomahawk Chop since fans have not been allowed back at the ballparks yet. Until then, the Braves have seemed to dodge the overwhelming pressure to change their branding that many other sports teams have faced this year.

Comments

comments

Christopher Amadasun is a Digital Intern at Unmutedco. He is a current Senior at North Carolina Central University double majoring in Mass Communications and Business.

Headlines

New England Patriots Coach Bill Belichick Says He Won’t Accept Presidential Medal of Freedom

Published

on

Head coach of the New England Patriots, Bill Belichick, declined to accept the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Monday following Trump supporters’ violent ambush at the U.S. Capitol.

What We Know:

  • In a statement, Belichick announced he would not go through with receiving the award after agreeing to accept it prior to last week’s riots in D.C. Belichick said he was flattered to be offered the medal, the country’s highest civilian honor, but the “tragic events of last week occurred, and the decision has been made not to move forward with the award.”
  • Having been a noted supporter of the President’s, Belichick says, “above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom, and democracy.” He also mentions to have had “conversations” and “actions” about “social justice, equality and human rights” earlier in the NFL season, which he claims were among the most rewarding in his career.
  • “Continuing those efforts while remaining true to the people, team, and country I love outweigh the benefits of any individual award,” he said. The award, established in 1963, is given to people who have “made exceptional contributions to the security or national interests of America, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors,” according to the White House.
  • The coach, who claims to stay out of politics, wrote a letter of support to the President in 2015, which Trump then read at a campaign rally in New Hampshire, on the night before the 2016 election. At the time, the candidate claims the letter offered “best wishes for great results” on election day and “the opportunity to make America great again.”

This decision is among the latest of political statements being made by various athletes and sports organizations. On Sunday, The Professional Golfers’ Association of America said that its 2022 championship would not be held at Trump’s golf course in Bedminster, New Jersey.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Chris Webber Developing ‘Fab Five’ Limited TV Series

Published

on

A Fab Five TV series is in development with Chris Webber involved.

What We Know:

  • The Fab Five was the 1991 University of Michigan Men’s basketball team. Often considered one of the best recruiting classes in college basketball history, the team consisted of Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson.
  • Webber will be working with Russel Redeaux, head of development at Cashmere Originals, to develop the series. The series will be based on Webber’s autobiography By God’s Grace, says the Grio.
  • Webber joined the Michigan Wolverines in 1991, eventually becoming NBA Rookie of the Year, a five-time NBA All-Star, and a five-time All-NBA team member. Currently, he works as an NBA analyst for TNT
  • Redeaux told The Hollywood Reporter, “There’s definitely an alignment with our vision at Cashmere Originals to tell multicultural stories of inclusion… with that alignment and me being a guy who grew up in the same era of the Fab Five, it was sort of a dream come true project to bring it into our company fold and work with Chris.”
  • Webber did not participate in the 2011 ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on the Fab Five, so this will be the first time his point of view will be shared on TV. During the documentary premiere, Webber was estranged from his former teammates and former best friend, Jalen Rose. The documentary was ESPN’s highest-rated documentary at the time, seen by 2.7 million.

“What I think is different about it is I’ve never spoken about my time with the Fab Five…There’s a lot of behind the scenes that not many people know about, and it’s about so many things. Hopefully, I’ll be able to express those things, whether it’s about Detroit or the work ethic of the city and the factories — all those things that made us.” said Webber 

  • The team fell short of an NCAA championship in 1993 due to Webber calling a time-out. Webber called a time-out when the team didn’t have one, leading to North Carolina converting two shots on the technical foul. North Carolina won the championship 77-71.

Webber’s perspective in the series is sure to bring new stories. The series has yet to release a premiere date.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Headlines

Red Sox Hire Bianca Smith for Minor League Team, First Black Woman to Coach in Pro Baseball

Published

on

Bianca Smith becomes the first Black woman to coach a professional Baseball Team.

What We Know:

  • Bianca Smith was announced as the new coach for the Red Sox Monday, becoming the first Black woman to coach in professional baseball. Smith currently works as a hitting coach for Carroll University in Wisconsin says an NBC report.
  • Before working at Carroll University, Smith worked at Case Western Reserve University as an athletics compliance assistant. Additionally, Smith interned with the Texas Rangers and worked with the Cincinnati Reds as a baseball operations trainee. Smith earned her J.D. in sports law at Case Western Reserve and a master’s in business administration.
  • In an MLB Network interview, Smith talked about the opportunity means for other women. “I think it’s a great opportunity also to just kind of inspire other women that are interested in this game.”
  • In the interview, Smith said learning about athletes’ bodies has changed how she will train. She will focus on training drills appropriate for each individual and their body. Smith also commented that she would work with players based on their statistics and metrics.

Smith is among a group of women entering professional baseball. She will begin coaching in a few after finishing coaching with Carroll University.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

LIVE TALK RADIO

BNA DAILY PODCAST

Trending