fbpx
Connect with us

Coronavirus

Herman Cain has Died

Published

on

Herman Cain. (Image via NBC News)
Herman Cain. (Image via NBC News)

After only three days since Herman Cain’s Twitter team gave an update about his well-being to his fellows, they now regret to inform his followers that he has passed away due to COVID-19. The obituary was posted on his Twitter account and Newsmax, a platform in which he was about to launch a program.

What We Know:

  • According to Newsmax, it was reported that Cain had unfortunately died at an Atlanta-area hospital after being critically ill with the virus for several weeks. The last update revealed he was doing well but was still reliant on oxygen. No further details on his death are available as of late.
  • It is still not known where exactly Cain could have contracted COVID-19, but the biggest lead right now is his attendance at President Donald Trump’s rally in Tulsa, OK on June 20th. The co-chair of Black Voices for Trump was pictured without a mask throughout the event. Numerous amounts of positive cases have come from the rally, including some of Trump’s own campaign staffers.

  • After surviving terminal cancer in 2007, he gained newfound motivation to do something else with his life. He gathered enough traction to seek the presidential bid in 2012 when he proposed his signature “9-9-9 plan,” which suggested an even 9% corporate, income and sales tax.
  • A major obstacle in his campaign came from several sexual harassment allegations, of which he denied, during his time as the head of the National Restaurant Association. A report from CNN in 2016 later revealed that the accusers ending up making accusations for “the fame”.
  • Editor of Hermancain.com, Dan Calabrese, who previously mentioned Cain’s whereabouts prior to getting infected, wrote a new statement on Thursday. “You’re never ready for the kind of news we are grappling with this morning. But we have no choice but to seek and find God’s strength and comfort to deal with it.”
  • Aside from running for President, Cain had a very successful life as a business executive for Pillsbury. After starting his career at Coca Cola in the ’70s, he helped turn around hundreds of Burger King Franchises and achieved the title of CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, another subsidiary of Pillsbury, in 1986. He worked under that title for nearly a decade.
  • One of Cain’s final messages over COVID-19 came in the form of a video blog on his website around June 11th. He stated: “We must continue to spread the coronavirus message: social distancing, sanitizing, hand-washing and masks. Don’t take it for granted, take it seriously.”

Cain is survived by his children Vincent and Melanie, wife Gloria, and four grandchildren.

Comments

comments

Javier Garay is Media & News SVCS Intern at UnmutedCo. He is currently enrolled in the University of North Georgia seeking a bachelor's degree in Film/Digital Media with a concentration in Media Studies. Javier writes for Black News Alerts (BNA) along with social media management for both BNA and BossFM, and is a part of the BNA Daily Podcast Team.

Coronavirus

Connecticut Issues First $1,000 Fines to Travel Violators

Published

on

Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont speaks to reporters before surveying storm damage, Friday, Aug. 7, in Westport, Conn. (John Minchillo/AP)

The Department of Public Health of Connecticut has distributed its first $1,000 fine on Monday to two individuals who Gov. Ned Lamont said failed to follow the travel advisory for citizens who return home from states with high COVID-19 infection rates.

What We Know:

  • Lamont stated that the two anonymous people came back to Connecticut from being in Louisiana and Florida. Neither completed the health form needed from anyone coming from any state.
  • Aside from not filling out a form, one of the people did not want to quarantine for the necessary 14 days and was given an additional fine of $1,000. Lamont said a coworker had told state officials that the person was not obeying Lamont’s executive order. Additionally, officials received a hint about the other person.
  • Lamont’s chief operating officer, Josh Geballe, said the incidents happened a couple of weeks ago. One of the individuals is from Windham County, and the other is from Hartford County. For the moment, he stated, there are further investigations currently happening regarding possibly other offenders.
  • Geballe said in a statement that this is real and people need to obey these rules and comply since this is one of the riskiest areas for the state of Connecticut right now as people are traveling into this state, bringing the virus with them. People need to fill out the form and need to quarantine, and are expected to do that. He continued to say, “If not, there will be consequences.”
  • Geballe stated that the information on the forms is critical in case someone tests positive and officials need to trace who they may have come in contact with. So far, more than 20,000 of the health forms had been handed in so far, with approximately 1,000 filed every day. Geballe said its significant amount of data that can be used if needed.

Lamont told reporters during his coronavirus briefing that he “hates” to do it, but they are serious and want to show people how serious they are. He continued to say that people are incredibly doing the right thing, and those who are not, please be on notice.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Southeast L.A. County Becomes Epicenter of Coronavirus Resurgence, Officials Blame Young Adults

Published

on

Assistant manager Luis Garcia sanitizes outdoor tables at Gloria's Restaurant in Huntington Park. (Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times)
Assistant manager Luis Garcia sanitizes outdoor tables at Gloria's Restaurant in Huntington Park. (Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times)

A recent analysis suggests Southeast Los Angeles County has become the epicenter for the resurgence of the coronavirus, according to the LA Times. County health data all point towards a trend of working-class Latino communities being affected the most.

What We Know:

  • Memorial Day marked the first major holiday of the summer and with plans to reopen states soon following, COVID-19 spread like wildfire virus throughout the workforce since then. Many communities with higher rates of poverty, crowding and many essential workers who keep the economy afloat are the hardest hit by the wave of unemployment caused by the pandemic.
  • As of Sunday, Los Angeles County reported nearly 1,800 new cases of COVID-19 and a dozen more deaths, pushing the county’s totals over 208,500 cases and nearing 5,000 deaths. Younger residents are, unfortunately, a majority of all the new cases reported as of late. About 69% of positive cases are under the age of 50 at this point.
  • These statistics alone erased the regions once-promising reduction in cases, to now one of the highest rates in the country, and just under other areas of Los Angeles.
  • Data collected by the Times reported a county record of over 27,000 new COVID-19 cases in the region the past two months. The area now accounts for “19% of new infections, although it comprises just 12% of the countywide population.”
  • The upward trend of spikes in infections target the younger demographic of work-classing residents, such as Latinos, regardless of rural or urban settings. It is yet another weight Southern California faces after a historic issue of pollution, healthcare accessibility, gang violence, and more.
  • The dispersity of the Eastside, compared to the Westside, is the east has a greater percentage of low-income, essential workers and are more subject to overcrowding. According to experts, these are all perfect ingredients for COVID-19 to thrive.

On the other hand, the Westside isn’t experiencing the same troubles. Given that the Westside has always been predominantly white and more well off, the increase has not been as significant. Much of this can be credited to better access to testing and healthcare.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

New Zealand Faces New COVID-19 Cases

Published

on

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern made the announcement at a press conference late Tuesday night.

What We Know:

  • This comes just after New Zealand celebrated 100 days without transmission of new COVID-19 cases. New Zealand now has four new confirmed cases of COVID-19, and twenty-three cases are in managed isolation. All of the previous twenty-three cases are travelers who have returned home to the country.
  • The first new case has been identified as someone in their 50’s who had not traveled out of the country. All four of the new cases are within the same family, and more than one place of business is involved. Contract tracing is currently in progress. Close contacts of those who tested positive will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days.
  • Starting at noon local time on Wednesday, August 12th, the city of Auckland went on level 3 lockdown until midnight on Friday, August 14th. Under level 3 restrictions, Auckland will require non-essential workers to work from home, while travel into the city is restricted to those who live in the area. The rest of New Zealand went on level 2 lockdown, which still allows people to attend work and school.
  • Prime Minister Ardern described the need for the restrictions.

“These three days will give us time to assess the situation, gather information, make sure we have widespread contact tracing so we can find out more about how this case arose and make decisions on how to respond to it.”

  • Director-General of Health for New Zealand, Dr. Ashley Bloomfield, noted the need for vigilance to defeat the virus, “This case is a wake-up call against any complacency that may have set in. We cannot afford to let this virus spread.”

Since the outbreak of COVID-19, New Zealand has recorded a total of 1220 cases and 22 deaths due to the virus.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending