fbpx
Connect with us

News

KC Chiefs Ban Headdresses and Native American Face Paint at Stadium

Published

on

The Kansas City Chiefs announced on Thursday that the team is prohibiting fans from wearing ceremonial headdresses and Native American-style facepaint, at the team’s home stadium, Arrowhead Stadium.

What We Know:

  • The Cheifs said that they have been discouraging fans from wearing headdresses for the past several years but after discussions with Native American leaders, the team decided to ban the headdresses from the stadium in Kansas City, Missouri, effective immediately. Fans will still be allowed to wear face paint, but the team said that any face paint “styled in a way that references or appropriates American Indian cultures and traditions will be prohibited”. Fans will be asked to remove any such face paint before passing through security checks outside the stadium.
  • The team also shared they will be reviewing other aspects of the Chiefs fan culture. For one, they said they will be reviewing the “Arrowhead Chop,” a tomahawk-like arm motion that fans perform at games with a made-up war cry. The team also shared it was also exploring changes to the “Drum Deck,” an area in Arrowhead Stadium where Chiefs players and others bang a large drum to kick off games. The organization said it hoped to find another way to unify both players and fans while also better representing the spiritual significance of the drum in American Indian culture.
  • The Chiefs share that the decision to make these fan-focused changes comes after a series of discussions with a group of local leaders from diverse American Indian backgrounds, a conversation they started back in 2014. The sports organization said despite the changes, they plan to continue several traditions intended to honor Native Americans such as a Blessing of the Four Directions and a Blessing of the Drum. The team has also extended an invitation to tribe members to attend its American Indian Heritage Month Game.
  • “As an organization, our goal was to gain a better understanding of the issues facing American Indian communities in our region and explore opportunities to both raise awareness of American Indian cultures and celebrate the rich traditions of tribes with a historic connection to the Kansas City area,” the team said in a statement.
  • Earlier this year, Kevin Allis, CEO of the National Congress of American Indians, told an NPR affiliate that practices like chopping and chanting actually end up demeaning Native Americans and often wrongly portray them as being homogenous and mythical. “When you see this on TV or in person, this distortion in kind of dehumanizing imagery has lasting negative impacts for us,” Allis said.
  • The Chiefs have become the latest organization to confront offensive symbols amid a nationwide discussion of racist imagery and iconography. The announcement from the Chiefs comes just over a month after Washington’s football team faced pressure from corporate sponsors and declared they were dropping its logo and the Redskins name. Other sports organizations with Native American mascots and logos are under increased pressure to re-evaluate their names and mascots such as the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL and the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians of Major League Baseball, all of whom have resisted changes thus far.

The Chiefs did not announce any changes to the team name or the name of its stadium. The reigning Super Bowl Champions kick off the NFL season at home on September 10th against the Houston Texans.

Comments

comments

Lifestyle

Texas Waitress Receives $2,000 Tip, Restaurant Won’t Process It

Published

on

Courtesy of The New York Times

Emily Bauer, a waitress at Red Hook Seafood and Bar in San Antonio, Texas, received a $2,000 tip, but her excitement was cut short when she was told by the restaurant she wouldn’t get a penny of it.

What We Know:

  • Bauer had only been a server for about 2 weeks when she went to work her shift on a busy Sunday. According to the news station KVUE, while working her tables, a man was seated in her section that she apologized to numerous times due to the service “being slow.”
  • The man was very understanding and assured her it was okay and mentioned, “I’ve owned restaurants, and I understand how it is to be a server.” He then when on to say, “You know what, just cancel the drinks, cancel the rest of everything and just give me my ticket.” At first, Bauer didn’t notice he had given her a $2,000 tip and with it a note that said, “Merry Christmas! Keep working hard!”
  • Bauer told the New York Times she started crying and she searched for the man, but he had left already. She went on to say, ” “The first thing that I thought of was my kids. I would be able to finally have a Christmas to give them whatever they want or whatever they need.”
  • Her excitement was quickly put to a stop after the restaurant told her they couldn’t process a tip larger than $500.

Bauer stated, “I was sitting at a table and the other servers were congratulating me and [my manager] came over and was like, ‘Rule No. 1. Never accept a tip like that because you’re never going to get it.”

  • Another server suggested that the restaurant give Bauer four separate tips of $500, but they refused. The customer later called the restaurant and said, “I don’t understand why it’s not being taken out if I have that money in my account.”

She asked to speak with the man to express her gratitude, but her manager said they didn’t have his information. Bauer explained how she had had a rough year, and she has prayed for a moment like that. The pandemic has changed things for her and her family, and she says, ” “For somebody to just block my blessings, it’s just like what can I do about it?” No response has been reported from the restaurant.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Crime

Woman in Brazil Arrested after Baby Bump Discovered to be a Watermelon Full of Cocaine

Published

on

Courtesy of Yahoo News

The old saying “necessity is the mother of invention” really worked out in real life with this juicy drug arrest in South America. That’s where a woman had a “watermelon baby” to hide drugs.

What We Know:

  • According to the New York Post, a woman from São Paulo entered a bus to Rio de Janeiro. Originally first, she was thought to be pregnant, but she was inspected after authorities got a lead on a narcotic drug case. The lady’s “baby bump” was a well-placed watermelon carrying four stones of cocaine paste.
  • After the inspection, the woman admitted to acquiring the cocaine in Paraguay. The bricks equaled to be around 4.5 pounds, and she states to have been smuggling them to Rio. The woman claimed that she earned 500 Brazilian reals, which equals to about $100.
  • She has since been arrested for her participation in the trafficking operation and is presently in jail in Guara on undisclosed charges. São Paulo military police seem to give her some tactics aids, describing the plot as “creativity without limit” on the official Facebook page.
  • Long seen as a market for cocaine from elsewhere in South America, Brazil has also become one of Europe’s leading suppliers in recent years. Brazilian organizations are believed to have infiltrated ports and sent the narcotics on container ships bound for Europe, where the “business” is worth more than $10 billion. With this huge amount of money, a lot of people will risk their freedom for money. Gangs have also been known to use Paraguay to transport cocaine into Brazil from elsewhere in South America.

While it’s unusual to assume that you’re pregnant, many drug traffickers have been creating extensive ways to get cocaine across borders for ages. In 2018, police in Portugal and Spain captured 1,642 pounds of cocaine sneaked inside fresh pineapples reaching into the area from South America.

 

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Law

DOJ Investigating Bribery Conspiracy Involving Presidential Pardons

Published

on

The U.S. Dept. of Justice is investigating an alleged scheme to bribe White House officials or related political committee with political contributions in return for a Presidential pardon, according to a court document unsealed on Tuesday.

What We Know:

  • A federal court order was signed by Chief Judge Beryl Howell on August 28th. It was filed after a government filter team was sorting through more than 50 digital devices as part of an investigation when they came across emails pointing to two alleged schemes.
  • The first scheme involved two individuals, whose names are redacted, who lobbied top White House officials to try to secure clemency of their offenses. The second scheme deemed a “bribery conspiracy,” alleges that “a substantial political contribution [was exchanged] for a presidential pardon or reprieve of sentence” by an individual whose name is being kept confidential.
  • The emails recovered by the filter team were subject to speculation on whether the government can seize them or the attorney-client privilege protected them. Chief Judge Howell ruled that the emails were not protected because them emails were sent to someone who is not a lawyer. “The attorney-client privilege applies only when the participants in the communication are the client and the client’s attorney, who is a ‘member of the bar,’ ” Howell wrote.
  • Judge Howell’s 18-page opinion offers some details about the case and the anonymous perpetrators. According to the document, no one appears to have been charged in connection to the investigation; however, the person seeking a pardon surrendered to the custody of the Bureau of Prisons, suggesting that person has already been convicted of a crime.

  • According to the US Pardon Attorney’s office, President Trump has granted 29 pardons and commuted 16 people’s sentences during his presidency. The most recent of his pardons went toward is his former national security adviser Michael Flynn,  who was charged with lying to the FBI, hiding undisclosed lobbying for Turkey, and other potential crimes. Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani has also reportedly discussed the possibility of receiving a preemptive pardon before the end of the President’s term, according to The New York Times.

In response to the events, President Trump called the investigation “Fake News!” on Twitter.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Trending