fbpx
Connect with us

Crime

Rochester Police Chief, Entire Command Staff Step Down Following Death of Daniel Prude

Published

on

Former Police Chief La'Ron Singletary of Rochester, NY. (Image via NBC News)
Former Police Chief La'Ron Singletary of Rochester, NY. (Image via NBC News)

After Police Chief La’Ron Singletary denied stepping down when confronted about the Danial Prude situation on a news conference Sunday, he and the entire command staff of the police department in Rochester, New York, have now resigned.

What We Know:

  • The resignation on Tuesday follows talk of how the death of Daniel Prude, a 41-year-old Black man with mental health issues, died at the hands of police back in March. Mayor Lovely Warren announced a police reform as a result of the public outcry when videos of the confrontation surfaced recently.
  • According to a news release from the department, Chief Singletary announced that he would be retiring after two decades on the force, despite previously denying rumors of his departure just a few days ago. Singletary stated that the events of the past few weeks have been to destroy his “character and integrity”.

  • It is unclear what drove the spontaneous decision now, especially after the blatant denial that it would occur. His departure has officially been deemed retirement, and after filling out the necessary paperwork, the chief and the other officers will reportedly still be able to use their pension and health benefits.
  • The now-former 40-year-old police chief stated in his resignation letter, “the members of the Rochester Police Department and the Greater Rochester Community know my reputation and know what I stand for.”

“The mischaracterization and the politicization of the actions that I took after being informed of Mr. Prude’s death is not based on facts, and is not what I stand for,” he continued.

  • Aside from Chief Singletary, Deputy Chief Joseph Morabito and Commander Fabian Rivera announced their retirements Tuesday as well. Two others who didn’t retire, Deputy Chief Mark Simmons and Commander Henry Favor, were demoted to lieutenant.
  • During a City Council briefing Tuesday, Warren confirmed the departure of the listed individuals. She remained firm on her stance from Sunday’s conference that Singletary was not asked to resign. In the same council meeting Tuesday, she went onto say he did his very best during his time in the role.

Moreover, Daniel’s sister, Tameshay Prude, has now sued the city of Rochester and some members of the police department Tuesday, including Singletary. The 82-page federal suit, filed by Tameshay in the Western District of New York, accuses the police department of a cover-up, unlawful use of force, and intentional disregard for his medical needs.

Comments

comments

Javier Garay is Media & News SVCS Intern at UnmutedCo. He is currently enrolled in the University of North Georgia seeking a bachelor's degree in Film/Digital Media with a concentration in Media Studies. Javier writes for Black News Alerts (BNA) along with social media management for both BNA and BossFM, and is a part of the BNA Daily Podcast Team.

Crime

Suspect Arrested for Mailing Ricin Envelope to White House

Published

on

Last week, a letter addressed to President Donald Trump tested positive for the deadly poison ricin when it was intercepted before reaching the White House. Over the weekend, a suspect was arrested.

What We Know:

  • The woman who is considered the prime suspect in connection to the ricin letter was arrested on Sunday as she tried to enter the United States from Canada, two federal law enforcement officials said. An FBI spokesperson confirmed the arrest but said the agency is still actively investigating the suspicious letter. No further details have been given.
  • Law enforcement officials said the suspect was detained by Customs and Border Protection agents and the woman was taken into custody while traveling across Peace Bridge, which connects Fort Erie, Ontario, and Buffalo, New York. The suspect also had a firearm in possession.
  • The woman is a Canadian national and according to two American officials, she was attempting to enter the United States nearly a year after she had been deported for engaging in criminal activity. A senior intelligence officer shared that the suspect had been living in the United States last year and was arrested in March 2019 by police in Mission, Texas, for possession of an unlicensed weapon, resisting arrest, and carrying a fake driver’s license. After the arrest, authorities discovered that she had overstayed her six-month visa and by committing a crime while in the United States, had violated the terms of her passport. She was then deported back to Canada.
  • The Joint Terrorism Task Force in Washington has been leading the investigation into who sent the ricin tainted letter to the White House, addressed the Trump. The task force is also investigating other envelopes containing ricin sent to a sheriff’s office and a detention facility in Texas.
  • Over the weekend, law enforcement agents said that the letters could have been sent from Canada, but that it was not clear when they were sent. The envelope, which was addressed to Trump, was intercepted at the final off-site processing facility before mail is sent to the White House mailroom, according to multiple law enforcement officials. All mail sent to the White House and other federal agencies in Washington are irradiated by the Postal Service and sorted in a separate facility that samples the air for suspicious substances.
  • Two law enforcement officials said that no links to any international terrorist groups have been found. “An arrest was made of an individual allegedly responsible for sending a suspicious letter,” the F.B.I. said in a statement. “The investigation is ongoing.”
  • This is the second time someone has tried to send ricin to Trump. In 2018, a Navy veteran named William Clyde Allen was arrested and charged in a seven-count federal indictment for sending mail suspected of containing ricin to Trump and to top Pentagon and other national security officials. President Obama had two separate people attempt to send him letters with ricin during his terms in office.

Ricin is a poison that is part of the waste produced when castor oil is made and has no known antidote.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Crime

Solicitation Charges Against Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Will Likely Be Dropped

Published

on

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft appears to be victorious in his Florida solicitation case as there likely will not be an appeal by prosecutors.

What we know:

  • The Florida solicitor general has decided not to seek an appeal of the solicitation of prostitution case against Kraft, according to the office of Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody. Video evidence in the case was thrown out by a lower court and the state appeals court upheld the decision in August.
  • Solicitor General Amit Agarwal considered appealing the case with Florida’s Supreme Court, according to the attorney general’s press secretary Kylie Mason. Mason said that the prosecution decided to not move forward with the case because a Supreme Court decision against the State “could have broader, negative implications beyond the limited facts of this case, which could affect law enforcement efforts in the future.”
  • Kraft was allegedly caught on secret camera eliciting sex at a West Palm Beach spa in 2019. He was charged with two misdemeanor counts of soliciting prostitution. His legal team successfully argued that being caught on hidden cameras violated his Fourth Amendment rights and Florida law. A Palm Beach County judge ruled that the video could not be used as evidence.
  • The appellate court ruling called the law enforcement surveillance of Kraft “extreme” and that their techniques were unwarranted. With the criminal case against him gutted and the solicitor general not seeking an appeal, the charges will likely be dropped and Kraft will walk away victorious.

Kraft pleaded not guilty during his case and has publicly apologized, saying he has “hurt and disappointed my family, my close friends, my co-workers, our fans and many others who rightfully hold me to a higher standard.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Crime

Nigeria State Says Rapists Will Face Surgical Castration, Death Penalty

Published

on

Governor Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai said the drastic penalties are required to help further protect children from serious crime. (Twitter/@elrufai)

The Governor of Nigeria’s Kaduna state signed and executed a law that states, men charged with rape will face surgical castration, and anyone who rapes a child under age 14 will face the death penalty.

What We Know:

  • Governor Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai, stated these drastic measures are to protect children from serious crimes. Its not only men who will be facing heavy punishment, but any women charged of raping children may also be punished with bilateral salpingectomy, or the removal of their fallopian tubes, and death.

  • The former law had a maximum penalty of 21 years incarceration for the rape of an adult and life incarceration for the rape of a child.
  • Related cases of rape in Nigeria have sky-rocketed significantly during the months of coronavirus limitations, urging the state’s governors to declare a state of emergency. Women’s groups have called for stricter measures, including the death penalty.
  • Kaduna state’s new law is the strictest against rape in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country.
  • This new law comes two days after Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan proposed surgical castration as punishment due to the violent gang rape to a woman who ran out of gas on a lonely highway in the country’s Punjab province.
  • Here in the United States, Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed into law a bill ordering “chemical castration” last year as a punishment for convicted child molesters as a circumstance of parole. The law would require sex offenders whose crimes have to do with children under 13 to simply receive medication meant to lower their testosterone levels and sex drive.
  • Seven other U.S. states have such penalties on the books, but it is seemingly rarely used and is highly controversial.

Maybe other states will follow in Nigeria’s shoes and see that leading by example can make a difference and save our children!

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending