fbpx
Connect with us

Headlines

Little Richard’s ‘Rip It Up’ Chosen as Monday Night Football Intro Song

Published

on

Rock and Roll Star Little Richard. (Image via Getty Images)
Rock and Roll Star Little Richard. (Image via Getty Images)

In an irregular football season this year with fewer fans in the stands and more on the couch, ESPN is trying to add a breath of fresh air to Monday Night Football (MNF). The first Monday night games of the season will feature a new version of Little Richard’s hit “Rip It Up”, featuring the Virginia-based group Butcher Brown.

What We Know:

  • This song will finally retire the longstanding “All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight” by Hank Williams Jr which was remade with new lyrics and named “All my rowdy friends are here for Monday night”. Williams’ song ran on the MNF broadcast every week during the NFL season from 1989 to 2011, had a six-year gap, and resumed until now.
  • Hank Williams Jr. went under fire earlier in the decade for his questionable comments about the former President Barrack Obama on an interview. As a response to that blunder, the tune was removed in 2011 before it starting airing 6 years later once more.
  • On a press release by ESPN on Friday, it was said that Little Richard’s song will also get the Hank Williams Jr. Treatment and be repurposed to the new theme of MNF. The song, originally released in 1956, ended up being number 1 R&B hit for the time. The father of Rock and Roll and Hall of Famer, unfortunately, passed away earlier this year at the age of 87 in Tennessee.

Butcher Brown stated in the press release that they are “truly excited to have teamed up with ESPN for this project, and are honored to have had the opportunity to work with the music of the King of Rock N’ Roll, Little Richard.”

  • The new version pays homage to the late Rock and Roll star while featuring a contemporary group for a fresh take on the classic. The infectious theme premiered online on Friday and one can already hear the heart Butcher Brown put into making this tune. The track features new instrumentals and backup vocals from Butcher Brown to accommodate football.

  • Talk of the song replacement broke out recently. According to The Washington Post, sources from ESPN stated that they wanted to introduce a much-needed change to the hype that is missed due to empty stadiums. Butcher Brown member Tennishu noted they did just that and felt that by “doing this project is a positive force in itself”.

Monday Night Football will kick off on September 14th, 2020 with a doubleheader featuring the Pittsburgh Steelers playing the New York Giants and the Tennessee Titans visiting the Denver Broncos.

Comments

comments

Javier Garay is Media & News SVCS Intern at UnmutedCo. He is currently enrolled in the University of North Georgia seeking a bachelor's degree in Film/Digital Media with a concentration in Media Studies. Javier writes for Black News Alerts (BNA) along with social media management for both BNA and BossFM, and is a part of the BNA Daily Podcast Team.

Coronavirus

28-year-old Houston Doctor Dies after Battle with Coronavirus

Published

on

28-year-old Houston Doctor Dies after Battle with Coronavirus

As the COVID-19 pandemic rages on, its deathly unforgiving grasp continues to take young bright minds from us. A 28-year-old Houston doctor from Syracuse has passed away after contracting a serious case of coronavirus and battling it for over two months, says the family.

What We Know:

  • According to Syracuse.com, Dr. Adeline Fagan was on her way towards completing her second year of residency as an Obstetrician-Gynecologist (OB-GYN) in Houston, and later became infected with coronavirus in July while doing a rotation treating other coronavirus patients in the emergency room.
  • Fagan moved to Houston to continue her career, while most of her family remained in Syracuse, New York. Soon after learning the news of their daughter falling ill, her parents had to travel from New York all the way down to Texas. This prompted the family to start a GoFundMe page in an effort to help cover all related medical and travel costs, which ended up raising around $160,000 by more than 3,000 donors.
  • Fagan’s family wrote, “That morning, she went into work feeling well and excited to see patients, but by the evening she began to feel under the weather.” They explained how what started out as the regular flu, quickly turned into a week’s stay at the hospital.
  • As time went on, her condition seemed to worsen every day. Eventually, medical professionals suggested they try an experimental drug on her and placed the patient in a life-support device called the extracorporeal membrane oxygenation machine (ECMO).

  • “Before we could see if this new drug was effective, her lungs could no longer support her,” her family wrote.
  • After those treatments were administered Fagan spent, what would be the remainder of her life, connected to a ventilator in an intensive care unit. That was when the family received news their daughter was doing slightly better and before the family was told over the weekend that she had suffered “massive brain bleeding”, which required surgery immediately. A doctor noted that this sort of event is not usual after a patient spends time in the ECMO.
  • The surgery was a last-ditch effort to save young Fagan’s life. The family was made aware she had a brutal 1 in a million chance of making it through the procedure. Even if she had survived, she would have unfortunately suffered long term and possibly lifelong effects such as several severe cognitive and sensory problems.

The family last recollection of Fagan was spending the “the remaining minutes hugging, comforting, and talking to Adeline, and then the world stopped”. As of September 22nd, 2020, over 2,600 people from the ages of 18-39 have died from COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Headlines

Trump’s Supreme Court List Narrowed and Decision To Be Made This Week

Published

on

Image via Reuters/Al Drago

President Donald Trump’s list of potential candidates to replace the late and great Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is being narrowed and his decision is to be made this week.

What We Know:

  • President Donald Trump received the news of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death after his campaign rally Friday. Following her death, Trump’s administration discussed with Trump about who would be the right candidate to replace RBG.
  • White House officials have been preparing to replace her prior to her death and Trump wanted to nominate a female justice to gain more female voters. Some of the candidates that the Trump administration has in mind are federal Judges Amy Coney Barrett and Barbara Lagoa, federal appeals court Judge Allison Jones Rushing, and Deputy Kate Todd. The concern with Rushing is her young age, 38, and Todd is not viewed as an actual finalist. Brett Kavanaugh was nominated by former White House counsel Don McGahn but Trump pushed for a female.
  • Barrett is the popular choice because Trump and other GOP senators are familiar with Barrett. Democrats question her position on abortion because of her Catholic faith, which may drive her views.
  • Trump expressed interest in Lagoa, a Cuban-American judge. He isn’t familiar with her and doesn’t know a lot about her but is planning to meet with her sometime in Miami. “She’s excellent,” he said. “She’s Hispanic. She’s a terrific woman from everything I know. I don’t know her. Florida. We love Florida.”
  • As for the decision, Trump ignored Ginsburg’s dying wish to be replaced after the 2020 Presidential election. His press secretary announced on Monday that Trump would announce his nominee before Ginsburg’s memorial services on Wednesday and Thursday but moments later, Trump said he would man the announcement on Friday or Saturday to “pay respects”.

After Ginsburg’s death, Trump was cautious to not mention anything about their differences in the past where she called him a “faker” back in 2016 and he said that she should resign.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Headlines

Florida Governor New Legislation Geared Towards Violent Protestors

Published

on

Ron-DeSantis
Image via CBSMiami/AP

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced new legislation to punish demonstrators who vandalize property and assault law enforcement.

What We Know:

  • Gov. Ron DeSantis made an announcement on Monday about new legislation that is expected to cease any violence during peaceful demonstrations. In the legislation, those who damage private property, harass or intimidate a person at a public accommodation, fund a disorderly protest, obstruct traffic during an unpermitted protest, or injure others will complete mandatory jail time. Those who strike law enforcement, which includes physically attacking or throwing an object, will face six months of jail time. As for obstructing traffic during an unpermitted protest, a driver will not be liable for causing harm or injuries while fleeing to safety from a violent mob.
  • “We’re not going to go down the road that other places have gone,” DeSantis said. “If you do it, and you know that a ton of bricks will rain down on you, then I think people will think twice about engaging in this type of conduct.”

  • DeSantis is being praised for his bill proposal and its support for police by conservatives. On the opposite end, Democrats believe these efforts are to help President Donald Trump with his re-election.
  • “The governor is attaching himself to Donald Trump’s propaganda and manufacturing a non-existenet law and order crisis in Florida,” Sendate Democratic Leader Audrey Gibson said. “It’s political fearmongering to bolster a president’s re-eletion bid.”
  • The legislation is also prohibiting state grants or aid to local governments who cut funding for law enforcement, terminating state benefits and making anyone involved in violent protests ineligible for work by state and local government, and denying bail for those involved in violent protests until their first court appearance.
  • Like the Democrats’ idea of this being an attempt at helping Trump’s re-election, some believe there are anterior motives behind this new legislation. “This is an attempt to chill legitimate dissent and somehow equate protests against police killing Black people with criminal activity despite the clear evidence that the protests occurring in Florida are overwhelmingly peaceful,” Tampa activist and co-found of Tampa for Justice Kelly Benjamin said.

The governor has not made any punishments for those who assault peaceful protesters.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending