fbpx
Connect with us

Coronavirus

White House Doctor Provides Update on Trump Amid Multiple GOP and Administrative Positive COVID Tests

Published

on

President Trump leaves the White House on Friday for Walter Reed National Military Medical Center to be treated for COVID-19. It is not known how he contracted the coronavirus.(Drew Angerer / Getty Images)

The White House stated President Donald Trump’s doctor has given an update on his condition Saturday morning. Trump’s doctor has noted he is doing “very well” as President Trump spends the weekend at a military hospital for care due to COVID-19.

What We Know:

  • Sean Conley, Navy Commander, stated Trump has been fever-free for 24 hours as he updates the nation on the president’s medical state from the military hospital Saturday morning as a safeguard. Trump had been admitted Friday after having a positive test result for the coronavirus. The news sent a shock throughout the nation just a month away from the presidential election.

  • Although Dr. Conley mentioned the president is not currently on oxygen, he declined to mention whether the president has ever been on oxygen, regardless of continuous questioning. He stated that Trump’s symptoms, including cough and nasal congestion, “are now resolving and improving”.
  • Conley mentions the president has “a lot of work to do,” but he is doing it. Doctors state the president said: “I feel like I could walk out of here today.”
  • President Trump and the First Lady Melania Trump are certainly not the only ones who have tested positive for COVID-19. The growing list of positive COVID-19 cases includes Trump’s Campaign Manager Bill Stepien, Chairwoman of the Republican National Committee Ronna McDaniel, Senior White House Counselor Hope Hicks, followed by President Trump’s former Senior White House Counselor KellyAnne Conway.
  • The growing COVID-19 cases also include U.S Senator Thom Tillis, Republican from North Carolina, U.S. Senator Mike Lee, Republican from Utah, Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson, Former NJ Governor Chris Christie, John Jenkins, President of the University of Notre Dame, three journalists from the White House press corps, according to White House associations and a White House press staffer, according to the correspondent’s association.

We wish a full and healthy recovery for everyone who is or has been affected by the COVID19 pandemic.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Business

Coca-Cola to Scrap Around 200 Drink Brands Due to Falling Sales During Lockdown

Published

on

Lucy Nicholson/Reuters

Coca-Cola will discontinue about 200 drink brands, halving its portfolio, according to its earnings call on Thursday.

What We Know:

  • During an analyst call, CEO James Quincey stated that they didn’t name the brands it would scrap. Still, it will likely remove more brands from its “hydration” category, including brands like Dasani, Powerade, and Smart Water.
  • Since June, the company has mentioned it will discard drinks such as TabZico, and Odwalla.
  • Coca-Cola’s profits are dominated by its most famous brands, Coke, Sprite, and Fanta. Quincey said more than half of the company’s brands collectively generate just 2% of its revenue in July.
  • Due to this, Coca-Cola has selected to terminate specific brands so it can make sure drinks with the most substantial potential to expand their consumer bases increase frequency and drive system margins, it said.
  • Despite terminating some brands, the company stated it will continue to search for new beverage categories. It started its Topo Chico Hard Seltzer in Latin America in the third quarter through an agreement with Molson Coors Beverage Co. and will launch the product in the US in the first half of 2021.

  • In the quarter to September, Coca-Cola stated that net revenues declined 9% to $8.7 billion because of a drop in out-of-home drinking, as restaurants in some areas remained shut, and fewer people dined out. Sales had recovered in the previous quarter, the company mentioned, but at a slower rate.
  • The company still beat revenue expectations, with revenues around $300 million higher than analysts had prognosticated. Unit sales, which don’t include currency variations, fell by just 4%.

Water and sports-drink volumes, the category Quincey said could face further cuts, fell 11%. The company attached this to a drop in water brands. The company said the ultimate impact of the pandemic on its near-term results was “unknown,” and Quincey mentioned, “many challenges still lie ahead”.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Judge Blocks Trump Plan to Cut Food Stamps for 700,000 Adults

Published

on

Food stamps recipients doing a big once-a-month shopping trip on the day their monthly SNAP account is re-funded. (Michael S. Williamson/The Washington Post via Getty Images)
Food stamps recipients doing a big once-a-month shopping trip on the day their monthly SNAP account is re-funded. (Michael S. Williamson/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

A recent motion by the Trump administration was aimed at making it more challenging for certain demographics to receive government aid known as food stamps. In a 60 plus page document, Chief U.S. District Judge Beryl A. Howell of D.C. shot down their effort of what seemed to be a blatant disregard of how a move like this would significantly impact so many Americans during a time of the pandemic.

What We Know:

  • The ruling follows the Trump administration’s nearly yearlong effort to change and reduce the amount of people who rely on food stamps, also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The proposal was originally made during a time when the U.S was in the middle of economic prosperity and record low unemployment rates before the events of this year. The new rules in the plan would have greatly limited access to the program.
  • As the story goes, the COVID-19 pandemic brought a once-booming economy to a grinding halt and placed millions of Americans into the unemployment line. Numbers continue to look grim as roughly 25 million adults are still without jobs and are currently claiming unemployment benefits. The unemployment rate as of September is sitting at nearly 7.9%, almost double of what it was in February.
  • In Judge Howell’s ruling, she stated that the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the organization in charge of SNAP, had remained usually quiet on how many people would have been affected by the administration’s rule change as the pandemic continues to plague the nation. She cited that the number of people signing up for SNAP has risen 17%, about 6 million new recipients, since May.
  • The rule change has been called “a vivid illustration of this relentless ideology that’s not informed by the economic realities of people, whether they are in the pandemic or not in the pandemic,” by Stacy Dean vice president for food assistance policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. “The judge called them out for trying to steamroll through policy with seemingly no effort to incorporate feedback” on concerns from states and other groups.
  • Howell also noted that the Trump administration had failed to give any reasons as to why the food stamp requirements needed to change. It targeted many “able-bodied adults without dependents,” meaning all adults ages 18 to 49 who don’t have children or family members with disabilities.
  • This demographic of adults are typically limited to three months of food stamps within a three-year period unless they acquire employment or happen to be enrolled in a worker training program, but most states are allowed to shelve those requirements.

Under the proposed rule, states would be required to prove that certain counties had unemployment rates of at least 6% in order to waive the restriction. This change is what prompted the Urban Institute to estimate that roughly 700,000 people would have been kicked off SNAP, although that number could be much greater now since the date of that last report.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Trump Slams Fauci In Campaign Call

Published

on

President Trump was heard on a Monday campaign call making rude and baseless claims about Dr. Anthony Fauci and other health officials.

What We Know:

  • On the call, Trump said that the country is ready to move on from the pandemic, even though 215,000 Americans are now dead and cases are spiking again. He called Fauci and health officials “idiots” and said that his large campaign rallies were no problem.
  • Trump also falsely claimed that “if I listened to him, we’d have 500,000 deaths . . . we’d have 700-800,000 deaths right now.” There’s no way to know how America would be handling the pandemic if Trump had listened to Fauci because this administration has not listened to health officials since day one. The only fact that we do know is that 215,000 people have actually died from coronavirus based on the Trump administration’s response and guidance.
  • Trump also said that Fauci has given bad health advice concerning mask wearing and that he does not want to keep him. “Every time he goes on television, there’s always a bomb, but there’s a bigger bomb if you fire him,” he told campaign employees on the call.

“People are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots — these people, these people that have gotten it wrong. Fauci’s a nice guy. He’s been here for 500 years. He called every one of them wrong. And he’s like this wonderful guy, a wonderful sage telling us how.” – President Trump

  • At the same time Trump was blasting Fauci on the campaign call, Fauci was receiving the National Academy of Medicine’s Presidential Citation for Exemplary Leadership. While accepting the honor, Fauci said “We have a lot of challenges ahead of us and I can’t help thinking that we’re really going through a time that’s disturbingly anti-science in certain segments of our society.”
  • Trump held this call two weeks before the election to offer some optimism and shore up the campaign in its final days. Trump told his staff that this is the most excited he’s been and that “we’re going to win”.

He also made the baseless claim that Democrats will be “cheating like crazy because they always cheat” and that “the only way we can lose this election is if they cheat. Okay, that’s the only way.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Trending