Cleveland Cavaliers player Kevin Porter Jr. was arrested on November 15th in Ohio at the site of a crash for improper handling of a firearm, misdemeanor possession of marijuana, and traffic charges.
What We Know:
- The 20-year-old rolled over his Mercedes-Benz on interstate 76 in Mahoning County. Porter was found at the scene uninjured, where he was arrested and charged at the Mahoning County Jail with two misdemeanors to which he pleaded not guilty and one felony charge of mishandling of a firearm in which he entered a no plea for.
- Newly released videos and photos show Kevin Porter’s mangled car at the crash scene where marijuana and a gun were found.
- Kevin Porter is also being accused of participating in an altercation that happened before the crash. According to one police report from Cleveland Police, an unnamed woman says that Porter and his sister approached her and another woman. Porter and his sister allegedly threw punches during the altercation, with Porter punching one of the women in the face and ripping her wig off.
- Three witnesses have confirmed the story of the two women and saw Porter leave in a black SUV. The women were encouraged to follow up with a prosecutor, and as of late, no charges relating to the incident have been made.
The Cavaliers issued a statement that said, “We are aware of the situation involving Kevin Porter Jr. and are in the process of gathering information. We have spoken with Kevin and will continue to address this privately with him as the related process evolves.”
Former NFL Champ Nate Burleson joins CBS Mornings
Former NFL player Nate Burleson has officially made his hosting debut on the newly branded morning talk show, CBS Mornings.
What We Know:
- It was announced earlier this month that Burleson would replace Anthony Mason. Previously Mason joined Gayle King and Tony Doukoupil as host of the former CBS This Morning. The show was rebranded in tandem to the relocation of their set to Times Square and Burleson joining the cast.
- Since 2017, former NFL player Burleson has been the host of Good Morning Football on the NFL Network and has served as an analyst on The NFL Today on CBS. Burleson will continue his role on The NFL Today.
View this post on Instagram
- Burleson is the second former NFL player to join a network morning TV show, with Michael Strahan playing a major role as a co-host on ABC‘s Good Morning America.
Burleson credits Michael Strahan as the ‘blueprint’ for his career path, explaining, “He’s one of those individuals that I took a liking to once I retired because he rewrote the blueprint. I don’t want to say that he is the blueprint, because there has been plenty of players that have transitioned out of the game into TV. There have been African American men and women before him that have done the same thing, but he is a guy that has shown me the lay of the land, especially being a transplant from the West Coast to now New York.”
Classes canceled at Howard University as US Government investigates ransomware cyberattack
Howard University officials along with leading cyber experts are trying to assess what has been compromised in an active ransomware, cyberattack on the HBCU campus. Officials have deemed the attack criminal.
What We Know:
- Monday, the university issued a statement to faculty and students that “the service disruption was caused by a ransomware cyberattack against the university.”
- Classes have been canceled for Tuesday and Wednesday. Students have been notified that online and hybrid classes will remain canceled and only essential staff will be allowed on campus. All in-person undergraduate, graduate, professional, and clinical experiential courses will resume as scheduled on Wednesday.
- A ransomware attack can be triggered by simple, everyday activity. Opening a unintended link inside of can lead to a cyberattack. Computer, tablet and phone users are encouraged to change their passwords and security questions regularly.
Howard University is home to several notable high profile Black alumni such as Chadwick Boseman and Phylicia Rashad.
Polo G Reportedly Arrested in Los Angeles on Concealed Weapon Charge
Polo G was arrested on in Los Angeles on Monday, TMZ reports.
What We Know:
According to the outlet, Polo G was arrested after police allegedly found a concealed firearm on the Hall of Fame rapper, which TMZ points out is a felony. The supposed discovery of the firearm occurred when a vehicle Polo G was a passenger in was stopped.
It’s currently unclear why the vehicle was pulled over in the first place but it was reported that a male juvenile was also detained during the stop.
Polo was similarly arrested while he was in Miami for his Hall of Fame album release party. The arrest, which took place back in June, resulted in the rapper getting hit with charges of of battery on a police officer, resisting arrest with violence, and criminal mischief. The rapper was also a passenger in a vehicle at the time of that arrest.