fbpx
Connect with us

Crime

Tory Lanez Pleads Not Guilty in Megan Thee Stallion Shooting

Published

on

Canadian singer and rapper Tory Lanez has pleaded not guilty in the July shooting of artist Megan Thee Stallion.

What We Know:

  • Lanez’s lawyer appeared for the arraignment on his behalf on Wednesday in Los Angeles to enter the plea. Last month, L.A. County District Attorney’s Office charged Lanez with one count of assault with semiautomatic firearm and one count of carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in his vehicle.
  • The case surrounds an incident that took place July 12 when the two artists got in an argument while driving through Hollywood Hills in a SUV. According to a criminal complaint, Megan got out of the car and Lanez began to shoot at her feet inflicting great bodily injury. He was arrested at the scene after police found a concealed weapon in his vehicle and was released on $190,000 bail. Police said one victim was injured but did not reveal their identity.
  • Days after the shooting, Megan informed her fans on Instagram of the trauma she endured. She wrote, “On Sunday morning, I suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me.” She says police escorted her to the hospital where she had surgery to remove bullets. “I’m incredibly grateful to be alive and that I’m expected to make a full recovery, but it was important for me to clarify the details about this traumatic night,” she continued, never naming Lanez as the shooter.
  • In August, Megan went on Instagram live finally accusing Lanez and his publicist of lying saying, “Yes..Tory shot me. You shot me, and you got your publicist and your people to these blogs lying…” She admitted she was initially fearful of telling LAPD who really shot her due to current racial climate. After seeing the truth of the story be twisted on the internet, she decided to speak up.
  • Lanez continues to deny Megan’s version of the truth. The day after he was charged he tweeted, “… and the truth will come to the light … I have all faith in God to show that … love to all my fans and people that have stayed true to me & know my heart … a charge is not a conviction . If you have supported me or meg thru this , I genuinely appreciate u .” He even released a track on his latest album Daystar alluding to the incident with lyrics such as, “And I thought that you was solid too, but …look at how you doin’ me, people tryna ruin me”.

Lanez is expected to return to court on Jan. 20 for the hearing and his order to not be in any contact with Megan was extended. If convicted, the Canadian rapper and singer faces up to 22 years and 8 months in state prison.

Comments

comments

Coronavirus

Couple Who Tested Positive for Covid-19 Are Arrested after Boarding Flight

Published

on

Courtesy of Star-Advertiser

A couple in Hawaii face reckless endangerment charges after entering a flight with their 4-year-old son, although they had tested positive for Covid-19, officials state.

What We Know:

  • A spokesperson for Kauai police stated Wednesday, the couple, Wesley Moribe and Courtney Peterson, knew they had tested positive as they boarded a United Airlines flight from San Francisco to Lihue. San Francisco International Airport officials had told them to isolate and not to travel, yet they did not listen and boarded the flight.
  • When Moribe and Peterson arrived at Lihue Airport, police accompanied them to an isolation room for additional processing and investigation.

  • Moribe, 41, and Peterson, 46, Wailua residents, were arrested on second-degree reckless endangerment charges. A family member took their son home, and Child Protective Services was notified.

“They knowingly boarded a flight aware of their positive COVID-19 test results, placing the passengers of the flight in danger of death,” Coco Zickos, the Public Information Officer at Kaua‘i Police Department said in a statement.

  • A spokesman for the Hawaii Covid-19 Joint Information Center said Wednesday that the state Health Department is informed when someone tests positive and that the couple was aware of their diagnosis before entering the San Francisco flight.

  • The airline’s website states, “Following CDC guidelines, you will not be able to travel on United for at least ten days after the date you tested positive and only after you have two successive negative COVID-19 results that were administered at least 24 hours apart.”
  • Moribe and Peterson are banned from any United flights, and an investigation has been initiated, a spokesperson for the airline said.

The couple was arrested and charged with reckless endangering in the second degree before being transported to Lihue Headquarters and booked. The couple posted bail, which was set at $1,000. The couple could face up to a year in jail and a $2,000 fine if sentenced.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Crime

Casanova Among 18 Charged with Racketeering has Turned Himself In

Published

on

Photo: Getty Images

New York City rapper Casanova has surrendered to law enforcement following his indictment in a gang-related federal racketeering case, authorities stated on Thursday.

What We Know:

  • New York Police Department has stated, Brooklyn rapper Casanova surrendered to police in Manhattan Wednesday night after allegedly being among 18 gang members named Tuesday in an indictment on several racketeering, murder, narcotics, firearms, and fraud offenses. He is not charged with killing the child.
  • On Tuesday, authorities had announced the indictment of 18 people, including New York City rapper Casanova, in connection to a litany of gang-related crimes, including racketeering, murder, drugs, firearms, and fraud offenses.
  • Acting U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss and additional law enforcement officials announced a declaration accusing those named in the charges of being part of the Untouchable Gorilla Stone Nation gang, who run in New York City and part of New York state.

Strauss mentioned, “Members of Gorilla Stone committed terrible acts of violence, trafficked in narcotics, and even engaged in brazen fraud by exploiting benefits programs meant to assist in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

  • One of those charged was indicted in connection with the Sept. 21 killing of a minor in Poughkeepsie, New York. The others were accused of charges that included assault, drug distribution, and weapons ownership. Two people were charged with falsely using other people’s identification information to file for COVID-19 unemployment privileges.
  • The suspects also allegedly cheated coronavirus economic assistance programs. Casanova, presently signed to Roc Nation, was charged on conspiracy charges to perform racketeering, conspiracy to distribute controlled substances, and firearms possession.
  • Federal investigators validated at the time that Casanova was the only defendant who is not in custody. All defendants, excluding Outlaw, are facing a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Rapper Casanova now faces charges including firearm possession, conspiracy to distribute controlled substances, and racketeering conspiracy.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Crime

Prolific Bank Robber Dubbed the ‘Too Tall Bandit’ Strikes After Taking 2-year Break: FBI

Published

on

Standing at about 6-feet 8-inches, the infamous ‘Too Tall Bandit’ has robbed yet another North Carolina bank.

What We Know:

  • According to Yahoo News, the prolific bandit has eluded police for over 11 years. He recently re-ignited his crime spree in November after what the FBI believed to be a two-year hiatus. The robber is suspected to be responsible for holding up 16 banks and one pharmacy, disguising himself in Halloween-style masks.
  • The prolific bank robber has frequented South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee. As his nickname suggests, the suspect is approximately a towering 6-feet 8-inches and about 250 pounds. He is also believed to have a limp that impacts his right leg. The FBI suspects the bandit to be a white male in his 40s.
  • His most recent stint was last Friday, where he robbed the United Community Bank in Etowah, North Carolina. Recently, the FBI released security camera footage of the armed bandit in hopes that someone will come forward and recognize the robber. He is considered to be armed and dangerous. Back in 2018, the FBI offered a heavy $15,000 reward for any information on the bandit, but to no avail.

  • Previously, the robber’s last known hold-up was back at SunTrust Bank in Franklin, Tennessee on Jan. 4, 2019. ABC News states that officials believe he robbed the same bank in 2012.

Spokesperson, Shelley Lynch, for the FBI in Charlotte, North Carolina, told ABC News on Wednesday: We’re just hoping someone can give us that tip we need to identify him before someone gets hurt. It is definitely a concern.”

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Trending