fbpx
Connect with us

Crime

Two Louisville Officers Involved in Breonna Taylor Murder Fired, Still No Charges

Published

on

A spokesperson for the Louisville Metro Police Department confirmed Wednesday that two officers involved in the raid that led to Breonna Taylor‘s death were terminated from the force.

What We Know:

  • Detective Joshua Jaynes, who secured the warrant for the March 13th raid on Taylor’s home, and Detective Myles Cosgrove, who investigators said fired the shot that killed the 26-year-old healthcare worker, were dismissed from the force as of Tuesday.
  • In the termination letters to Cosgrove and Jaynes, interim Police Chief Yvette Gentry, said each officer had violated department policy. The documents explain that Jaynes had acted in contrast of department protocols when preparing the search warrant. Regarding Cosgrove, LMPD said he violated department procedures including on the use of deadly force and failing to operate his officer-worn body camera.

“The evidence in this case revealed a sustained untruthfulness violation based on information included in an affidavit completed by you and submitted to a judge,” reads the letter. “It is my decision to terminate your employment based on that evidence.”

  • The letter further reveals that Cosgrove had fired 16 shots into Taylor’s apartment, hitting her twice. “The shots you fired went in three different directions, indicating you did not verify a threat or have target acquisition,” the letter to Cosgrove continues. “In other words, the evidence shows that you fired wildly at unidentified subjects or targets located within the apartment.”
  • Despite being among the latest to be terminated from LMPD, none of the officers who fired their weapons during the raid face criminal charges for Taylor’s death. One former officer, Brett Hankison, was indicted in September on three counts of wanton endangerment for his shooting into a neighboring apartment.
  • The Kentucky attorney general, Daniel Cameron, said that Cosgrove and another officer, Jonathan Mattingly, “were justified in their use of force”. Oppositely, three grand jurors have said they not only disagreed with Cameron’s decision, but also said they pressed for more charges to be considered, but those requests were dismissed prosecutors.

The announcement comes on the same day Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer announced the hiring of Erika Shields, who previously led the Atlanta Police Department, as LMPD’s next police chief. In a press conference Wednesday morning, Fischer announced that Shields will be sworn in on Jan. 19.

Comments

comments

Crime

Trey Songz Arrested After Altercation with Police

Published

on

During Sunday’s AFC Championship Game between the Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs, rapper Trey Songz was arrested by Kansas City Police at Arrowhead Stadium.

What We Know:

  • According to TMZ, Kansas City Police claimed that Tremaine Aldon Neverson, better known as Trey Songz, was not following Arrowhead Stadium protocol. After staff and fans around him could not get him to wear a mask, police were called in to kick him out of the stadium.
  • Witnesses claim Songz was not breaking the rules but being heckled by others in the stands. He had asked them to be quiet. When police arrived, things got abruptly physical, and he acted in self-defense.  The 36-year-old singer’s altercation was caught on camera.

  • The video shows Songz caught off guard when the officer gets physical. He connects a punch with the officer’s head and gets him in a headlock, but then the officer pinned Trey to a seat. As more officers arrive at the scene, you can hear fans in the background of the video shouting for the officer to be arrested.
  • Trey Songz was arrested for trespassing, resisting arrest, and assaulting a police officer. He is being placed on a 24-hr hold and likely to be released on Monday night.

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office nor Trey Songz’s attorney could be reached for comment.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Crime

A Radio Host Was Shocked to Get a Pardon He Never Asked Trump For

Published

on

Like most of us, Gary Hendler was closely watching for updates from the White House when he saw his name in the paper.

What We Know:

  • In the final hours of his time in office, former President Donald Trump issued a number of pardons. Among those pardoned was Gary Hendler, a 67-year-old radio host from Ardmore, Pennsylvania who had no prior connection to the Trump administration.
  • Hendler struggled with addiction starting in 1973. He was attending Temple University in Philadelphia when he got addicted to quaaludes, a popular recreational drug in the ’70s. In order to get his fix, Hendler and three fellow addicts opened a “stress clinic” in January of 1981. They hired a psychiatrist to prescribe quaaludes to anybody who asked.
  • Shortly after opening the clinic, Hendler left the business and checked himself into rehab. But when federal agents raided the clinic in 1984, his name was still on all the corporate papers and he was arrested and charged for drug conspiracy. He was sentenced to three years supervised probation and fined $300.
  • According to NBC News, Hendler had previously written a nearly 90-page pardon application to the Obama administration back in 2016 but to no avail. Now, he states that he was never contacted or notified by the Trump administration that he would be receiving a pardon.
  • Hendler broke down in tears after seeing his name in the paper on Wednesday morning. The “Clean and Sober Radio” host was described by the administration as an “integral [person] in the lives of many members of the community who were dealing with substance abuse issues.”

Gary Hendler has achieved a lot since regaining his sobriety. He is now married with kids, owns a successful real estate business, and most importantly, pardoned!

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

Crime

U.S. Soldier Arrested in Plot to Blow Up 9/11 NYC Memorial

Published

on

A U.S. Army soldier was arrested in Georgia on charges that he plotted to blow up the 9/11 Memorial in New York City and attack U.S. soldiers in the Middle East. (Inset: FB via United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, Alejandra Villa-Pool/Getty Image)

A U.S. Army soldier was detained Tuesday in Georgia on terrorism charges after he talked online about plans to blow up New York City’s 9/11 Memorial and other monuments and assault U.S. soldiers in the Middle East, officials said.

What We Know:

  • Cole James Bridges from Stow, Ohio, was in custody on charges of attempted material support of a terrorist organization, the Islamic State group, and attempted murder of a military member, stated Nicholas Biase, a spokesperson for Manhattan federal prosecutors.
  • The 20-year-old soldier, also identified as Cole Gonzales, was with the Third Infantry Division out of Fort Stewart, Georgia, when he believed he was chatting with the Islamic State online about the terrorism plots, Biase mentioned.
  • According to a criminal objection in Manhattan federal court, Bridges entered the U.S. Army in September 2019 and was appointed a cavalry scout in Fort Stewart. Unknown to Bridges, an FBI employee was in on the chat. Biase said Bridges gave detailed instructions on tactics and manuals and information about attacking the memorial and other New York City targets.
  • “As we allege today, Bridges, a private in the U.S. Army, betrayed our country and his unit when he plotted with someone he believed was an ISIS sympathizer to help ISIS attack and kill U.S. soldiers in the Middle East,” William F. Sweeney Jr., head of New York City’s FBI office stated in a press release.

“Fortunately, the person with whom he communicated was an FBI employee, and we were able to prevent his evil desires from coming to fruition,” he continued.

  • According to court papers, he communicated his frustration with the U.S. military and his desire to help the Islamic State group. The criminal complaint stated he then gave training and guidance to professed Islamic State fighters who were plotting attacks, including advice about potential targets in New York City, including the 9/11 Memorial.
  • Bridges also outlined specific military tactics to help the terrorist group’s fighters kill U.S. troops, including the best way to strengthen an encampment to resist an attack by U.S. Special Forces and how to wire specific buildings with explosives to kill the U.S. troops, the complaint said.

He was programmed to make a first appearance in federal court in Georgia on Thursday. It was not instantly clear who would represent him.

Comments

comments

Continue Reading

LIVE TALK RADIO

BNA DAILY PODCAST

Trending