Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony-Award (EGOT) winner Whoopi Goldberg shines as the cover star for Variety’s pre-Oscar issue. In a Zoom call with writer Angelique Jackson, Goldberg reminisces on her first Oscar win in 1991 for Best Supporting Actress in Ghost. She proceeds to discuss all her accomplishments after the win.
What We Know:
- In the discussion, Goldberg watched a clip from that year’s Academy Awards in which Denzel Washington hands her the award, and “breaks into a smile”. Goldberg listened intently to her acceptance speech and shared her takeaways. Some of them include how she felt about her outfit that night.
“I looked really good… My hair was cool. My dress was cute,” she said.
- Goldberg recounted how her legendary award almost did not occur. Jerry Zucker, the film’s director, was uncertain about casting a comedian for the role of Oda Mae. Goldberg also claimed every Black woman in Hollywood, including Tina Turner and Patti Labelle, were considered. However, Patrick Swayze, the protagonist, demanded she received the casting. Swayze and Zucker even flew to Alabama, where she was filming The Long Walk Home with Sissy Spacek, so she could read with Swayze. Zucker was taken aback by their chemistry and selected her for the movie. She even contributed to the memorability of the movie. During the first table read, Goldberg suggested new lines, including the famous line “Molly, you in danger, girl.“
- Goldberg added she and Zucker didn’t imagine Ghost would be such a success. She stated they “weren’t sure what the hell” they were shooting. The film received five nominations: Best Supporting Actress, Best Film Editing, Best Original Score, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Picture.
- She mentioned her 1991 win was historic not only for her but also for Black people. That March night, she became the first Black woman to receive an Oscar in 50 years. Hattie McDaniel became the first Black person to win an Academy Award in any category in 1940. Like Goldberg, McDaniel won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in Gone with the Wind. After McDaniel’s win and before Goldberg’s, only three Black people won Oscars: Sidney Poitier in 1964 for Best Actor in Lilies of the Field, Louis Gossett Jr. in 1983 for Best Supporting Actor in An Officer and a Gentleman, and Denzel Washington in 1990 for Best Actor in Glory.
- Goldberg also discussed another groundbreaking moment for her in the interview, hosting the 2002 Oscars. She felt honored to be the host when Halle Berry became the first Black woman to win Best Actress.
“It was kind of wonderful… I had a little tear in my eye, because I always wished it would be me. But you can’t always get what you want; sometimes you get what you need,” she declared.
- Furthermore, Goldberg talked about Elizabeth Taylor’s mentorship. She recollected that Taylor gave her important advice on navigating Hollywood. Some of these included asking the studio for a present when signing on for a film. Additionally, Taylor told her it would be harder for folks to believe Goldberg could do anything because of her skin color. Taylor added that it would be “up and down”. She reminded Goldberg to “have a way to see where you were,” so she could be motivated during tough times. Goldberg took those words to heart and bought artwork for her “mile markers”.
- Goldberg now has a similar relationship with Tiffany Haddish. The Girls Trip actress saw Goldberg as an idol after watching Jumpin’ Jack Flash in 1986. Goldberg and Haddish became close after Haddish appeared on The View in 2017. Afterward, they starred as a mother-daughter duo in Tyler Perry’s Nobody’s Fool. Haddish is appreciative of her conversations with Goldberg. She says the best advice she ever received from the legend was to “listen and know your worth. And don’t be afraid to say no or walk away.” Haddish uses her friendship as motivation to improve her talent and eventually make it into the EGOT club.
- In addition, the interview reveals some of Goldberg’s next steps. The actress is currently writing a script for a superhero film about an older Black woman. She will also reprise the role of Deloris Van Cartier in the Disney Plus movie Sister Act 3. Variety mentions more roles in the article.
- Moreover, Goldberg serves on the Motion Picture Academy Board of Governors. It seems she may have impacted the diversity of nominations. At the 2021 Oscars, nine of the twenty acting nominees were people of color. This means all four acting categories could be won by a person of color.
The article wraps up by stating her trophies are milestones of her career. Jackson emphasizes that Goldberg’s legacy is not defined by the number of awards she’s gathered in her four-decade career. Goldberg told Jackson she is most proud of not fading away. The legendary actress says she’s still present and being authentically herself.
Naya Rivera’s Family Scores Huge Victory In Wrongful Death Battle Over Tragic Drowning
The path has been cleared for Naya Rivera’s family to sue Ventura County for wrongful death after the singer died on July 8, 2020 while boating in Lake Piru with her three-year-old son, Josey.
via: Radar Online
According to court documents, the judge presiding over the suit against Ventura County shut down the defendantâ€™s attempt to block Naya’s family from collecting punitive damages.
Back in November, Nayaâ€™s ex-husband Ryan filed a lawsuit against Ventura County over the tragic 2020 drowning incident. The actress had rented a pontoon boat at Lake Piru.
Her son was found sleeping alone on the boat hours later. A massive search was launched, and her body was eventually found. Investigators found Naya and her son were swimming, but she did not get back on the boat.
Her son said she threw him onto the boat but then she disappeared. In his lawsuit, Ryan, who filed on behalf of their son, accused Ventura County of not complying with safety standards.
He claims the boat was â€œnot equipped with a safely accessible ladder, adequate rope, an anchor, a radio or any security mechanisms to prevent swimmers from being separated from their boats, nor any flotation or lifesaving devices.â€�
He says this is in violation of California law. Ryan claims the lake had no signs warning of the dangerous conditions of the lake. He also says the person who rented the boat to his ex did not warn either to wear a life vest. The county denies that claim.
Ventura County denied all claims they were responsible for the incident and moved to dismiss the case. The defendants recently asked the court to block Ryan and Nayaâ€™s family from seeking punitive damages, which could be millions. In the recent decision, the judge denied the request.
The order reads, â€œThe allegations of specific statutory violations regarding safety equipment and noncompliance with the conditional use permit regarding signage, as well as allegations that defendant knew of the dangers of the lake, and had received complaints from other patrons, that over two dozen individuals had died in the lake, that Parks and Recreation failed to instruct Ms. Rivera to wear her life vest, failed to outfit the boat with a flotation device, and failed to outfit the boat with an anchor which could have prevented Ms.Rivera from being separated from her boat and ultimately drowning.â€�
The judge said the allegations presented in the suit are â€œsufficient for purposes of pleading to (arguably) reflect â€œdespicable conductâ€� with a â€œwillful and conscious disregard of the rights and safety of others.â€�
â€œThe allegations include that it was the officers and directors of Parks & Recreation Management who received the complaints and â€œdecided to ignoreâ€� them,â€� he noted.
Hopefully it brings the family some peace.
The post Naya Riveraâ€™s Family Scores Huge Victory In Wrongful Death Battle Over Tragic Drowning appeared first on LOVEBSCOTT.
Cardi B Officiated Same-Sex Couple: â€˜This Was Such a Fulfilling Thing to Doâ€™ [Video]
Cardi B served as the officiant to a beautiful same-sex wedding ahead of National Coming Out Day on October 11.
In the latest episode of Cardi Triesâ€”the rapperâ€™s Facebook Messenger seriesâ€”Cardi is joined by Thatâ€™s So Raven star Raven-SymonÃ© as she officiates a same-sex wedding in California. The episode, released in time for National Coming Out Day, sees Cardi officiate the ceremony for newly weds Brandi and Shannon, as Raven is their ringbearer.
â€œBy the power invested in me by the state of California and my online course, I now pronounce you wife and wife,â€� Cardi declared.
Imagine being able to say Cardi freaking B officiated your wedding ?! ??????? pic.twitter.com/UVx4qHHcE6
— ????? ?-??? ????? ?? (@BussMeDownnn) October 8, 2021
During the episode, Raven spoke about what being at the ceremony alongside Cardi meant to her, sharing that it â€œreminded me of my wedding day when I really wanted to see my wife in a beautiful wedding dress.â€�
Cardi also opened up to Raven about her own wedding to Offset in 2017, saying that she might be ready to have a â€œwedding-wedding now.â€�
â€œI got married in my bedroom â€¦ I do wish I had a bigger wedding because Iâ€™m very flamboyant, so I do want the whole dress and the whole cake and everything,â€� she said. â€œI didnâ€™t even have a ring, so I just didnâ€™t feel like I was married because I didnâ€™t have the whole shabangabang.â€�
After the episode, which you can watch on Facebook here, Cardi took to Twitter to share with her fans that she is indeed licensed to marry, adding what we already know: She does â€œit all.â€�
By the way WORLD Iâ€™m licensed to marry people â€¦.sooo yeaâ€¦ I do it all and this was such a fulfilling thing to do and Raven was soo fun I was sooo starstruck. https://t.co/i74YNT7Xbb
— iamcardib (@iamcardib) October 9, 2021
â€œBy the way WORLD Iâ€™m licensed to marry people â€¦.sooo yea,â€� Cardi tweeted. â€œI do it all and this was such a fulfilling thing to do and Raven was soo fun I was sooo starstruck.â€�
Happy National Coming Out Day for everyone who chooses to live their truth.
The post Cardi B Officiated Same-Sex Couple: â€˜This Was Such a Fulfilling Thing to Doâ€™ [Video] appeared first on LOVEBSCOTT.
Diddy Leaves Flirty Comments On Yung Miami’s New Thirst Trap Amid Joie Chavis Romance Rumors [Photo + Video]
It looks like Diddy still has his eyes on Yung Miami amid rumors he’s dating Joie Chavis. After Yung Miami posted new thirs trap on social media, Diddy couldn’t help but leave flirty comments on it.
After the two were spotted getting cozy earlier this year, the Bad Boy is once again showing the City Girl love. Miami posted a series of sexy pics on Instagram over the weekend, which had Diddy feeling some type of way.
â€œAWWWW SHIIIIIIT !!!!â€� an excited Puff commented on the thirst trap, along with the flame and sunglasses face emoji.
He also added, â€œSHAWTY WOP!!â€�
This is not the first time the pair has sparked speculation over their relationship. In August, Miami shared a video of herself seated in Diddyâ€™s lap while drinking his DeLeon tequila. Prior to that, the rumored couple showed PDA as they held hands while attending a birthday party for Quality Control CEO Pierre â€œPeeâ€� Thomas in Atlanta.
CARESHA AND DIDDY ARE DEADASS DATING ???! pic.twitter.com/j5rjCt5pLc
— m (@shortyshustla) August 4, 2021
This came just around one month after Miami unfollowed Chavis. Miami took the move after the latter was caught on camera cozying up to the hip-hop mogul while on a romantic yacht vacation.
Headlines3 days ago
Yvonne Orji apologizes to fan after sharing encounter at women’s empowerment event
Headlines3 days ago
D.C. father pleads for help after he and daughters are hit by car walking to school
Headlines3 days ago
Arizona man says he fatally shot estranged wife, infant daughter due to ‘deal with spirit’
Headlines3 days ago
Nicole Brown family upset at Kim K ‘SNL’ OJ jokes
Headlines3 days ago
‘The View’s’ Joy Behar: NFL should hire Kaepernick as ‘palate cleanser’ after Gruden scandal
Headlines3 days ago
Johns Hopkins nonprofit to offer scholarships to Black students
Headlines3 days ago
Meek Mill’s album cover art depicting Black women sparks strong opinions