The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame held its induction ceremony for its new class of nominees, headlined by the late Kobe Bryant, whose wife Vanessa stood in on his behalf.
What We Know:
- The ceremony, which took place Saturday night, was for the 2020 class of inductees. The ceremony had been postponed until this year due to the covid-19 pandemic. This year’s ceremony featured one of the most successful classes in the history of the NBA. LeBron James echoed these sentiments, with the Lakers forward saying, “There has not been a better Big Three to go in at the same time.”
- The awards kicked off with Minnesota Timberwolves and Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett accepting his nomination. The 15x All-Star and 2004 NBA MVP looked back on his career, proud that he “played the game hard” and “with a passion.” Garnett continued his speech by thanking his fellow inductees Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant for their “epic” battles against each other in the NBA’s Western Conference.
- Later in the ceremony, legendary power forward Tim Duncan took the stage to give his remarks. Duncan spent his entire 19-year career with the San Antonio Spurs, winning 5 championships over three different decades. Nicknamed “The Big Fundamental,” the 2x NBA MVP spoke on how he originally aspired to become a professional swimmer before picking up a basketball at the age of 14. Duncan also lovingly gave praise to his coach Gregg Popovich for teaching him about basketball, but also for being an “amazing human being.”
- However, the highlight of the proceedings came when Michael Jordan came on stage to present the hall of fame honors for 5x NBA Champion Kobe Bryant. The Chicago Bulls legend did not speak but stood by the late Bryant’s wife Vanessa as she gave her speech. In her remarks, Vanessa chose to focus on their relationship with each other and children.
- Mrs. Bryant spoke on her husband’s fierce determination to succeed. She noted if he were there, Kobe would’ve thanked everyone who helped him reach this point, including his doubters. During his career, Kobe constantly played through numerous injuries. Vanessa spoke on how Kobe’s idol, Jordan, inspired him to do so.
- She explained that Kobe always remembered how excited he was as a kid to get a chance to see his favorite player. “Kobe didn’t want to disappoint his fans, especially the ones in the 300 section that saved up to watch him play, the kids with the same excitement he once had,” said Vanessa. But ultimately, it was the couple’s daughters who were Bryant’s favorite fans. Vanessa thanked her husband for doing everything he could to provide them what she called “an amazing life together.”
The 2020 Naismith Hall of Fame inductees also included 2x NBA Champion coach Rudy Tomjanovich, 3x Olympic Gold Medalist Tamika Catchings, and 3x NCAA champion coach Kim Mulkey, among others.
Former NFL Champ Nate Burleson joins CBS Mornings
Former NFL player Nate Burleson has officially made his hosting debut on the newly branded morning talk show, CBS Mornings.
What We Know:
- It was announced earlier this month that Burleson would replace Anthony Mason. Previously Mason joined Gayle King and Tony Doukoupil as host of the former CBS This Morning. The show was rebranded in tandem to the relocation of their set to Times Square and Burleson joining the cast.
- Since 2017, former NFL player Burleson has been the host of Good Morning Football on the NFL Network and has served as an analyst on The NFL Today on CBS. Burleson will continue his role on The NFL Today.
View this post on Instagram
- Burleson is the second former NFL player to join a network morning TV show, with Michael Strahan playing a major role as a co-host on ABC‘s Good Morning America.
Burleson credits Michael Strahan as the ‘blueprint’ for his career path, explaining, “He’s one of those individuals that I took a liking to once I retired because he rewrote the blueprint. I don’t want to say that he is the blueprint, because there has been plenty of players that have transitioned out of the game into TV. There have been African American men and women before him that have done the same thing, but he is a guy that has shown me the lay of the land, especially being a transplant from the West Coast to now New York.”
Classes canceled at Howard University as US Government investigates ransomware cyberattack
Howard University officials along with leading cyber experts are trying to assess what has been compromised in an active ransomware, cyberattack on the HBCU campus. Officials have deemed the attack criminal.
What We Know:
- Monday, the university issued a statement to faculty and students that “the service disruption was caused by a ransomware cyberattack against the university.”
- Classes have been canceled for Tuesday and Wednesday. Students have been notified that online and hybrid classes will remain canceled and only essential staff will be allowed on campus. All in-person undergraduate, graduate, professional, and clinical experiential courses will resume as scheduled on Wednesday.
- A ransomware attack can be triggered by simple, everyday activity. Opening a unintended link inside of can lead to a cyberattack. Computer, tablet and phone users are encouraged to change their passwords and security questions regularly.
Howard University is home to several notable high profile Black alumni such as Chadwick Boseman and Phylicia Rashad.
Polo G Reportedly Arrested in Los Angeles on Concealed Weapon Charge
Polo G was arrested on in Los Angeles on Monday, TMZ reports.
What We Know:
According to the outlet, Polo G was arrested after police allegedly found a concealed firearm on the Hall of Fame rapper, which TMZ points out is a felony. The supposed discovery of the firearm occurred when a vehicle Polo G was a passenger in was stopped.
It’s currently unclear why the vehicle was pulled over in the first place but it was reported that a male juvenile was also detained during the stop.
Polo was similarly arrested while he was in Miami for his Hall of Fame album release party. The arrest, which took place back in June, resulted in the rapper getting hit with charges of of battery on a police officer, resisting arrest with violence, and criminal mischief. The rapper was also a passenger in a vehicle at the time of that arrest.