After nearly two weeks since the June 24 collapse of a Miami condominium, officials declared an end to survivor rescue efforts.
What We Know:
- A few days after the northeast corridor collapse, more than 150 people remained unaccounted for. As of Wednesday evening, the death toll rose from 10 to 54. Of the 54 dead, 33 were identified. 86 people are still unaccounted for. The death toll as of Friday has now risen to 78.
- The past two weeks consisted of rescuers using sonar equipment, cranes, cameras, and dogs to search for living people. Since the initial collapse, however, none of the equipment or dogs detected any living people. Rescuers have worked through 7 million pounds of debris since June 24. “Just based on the facts, there’s zero chance of survival,” said Assistant Chief Ray Jadallah of Miami-Dade Fire Rescue. This close to zero likelihood of survival for two weeks without food, water, or air largely influenced officials’ decision to halt rescue efforts.
- The “pancaked” debris formation yields practically zero voids or pockets of air and space where a person could survive. Chief Jadallah described an area where four floors collapsed onto one another, with separation between them a total of only three feet. Fire Chief Alan Cominsky said search crews used “every resource and expertise available to find life under the rubble…crews worked under arduous conditions through rain, smoke, fire and even imminent danger of a secondary collapse.”
- Tropical Storm Elsa affected rescue efforts, landing at Florida’s Gulf Coast on Wednesday morning. Extreme heat, thunderstorms, wind, and lightning carried across Florida to the site of the collapse. Video footage shows rescuers’ attempts to continue the search in spite of tents, tarps, and trees blowing over.
- Instead of searching for bodies, the focus shifts to recovery. Upcoming weeks will consist of working through the debris. On Sunday, teams demolished the remaining portion of the condo to prevent another potential collapse. With the hope of finding survivors no longer feasible, crews move rubble. So far, crews have removed 24 tons of debris.
While the cause of the collapse remains unknown, structural investigation persists. An October 2018 report showed concrete damage below the pool and in the parking garage.
Former NFL Champ Nate Burleson joins CBS Mornings
Former NFL player Nate Burleson has officially made his hosting debut on the newly branded morning talk show, CBS Mornings.
What We Know:
- It was announced earlier this month that Burleson would replace Anthony Mason. Previously Mason joined Gayle King and Tony Doukoupil as host of the former CBS This Morning. The show was rebranded in tandem to the relocation of their set to Times Square and Burleson joining the cast.
- Since 2017, former NFL player Burleson has been the host of Good Morning Football on the NFL Network and has served as an analyst on The NFL Today on CBS. Burleson will continue his role on The NFL Today.
View this post on Instagram
- Burleson is the second former NFL player to join a network morning TV show, with Michael Strahan playing a major role as a co-host on ABC‘s Good Morning America.
Burleson credits Michael Strahan as the ‘blueprint’ for his career path, explaining, “He’s one of those individuals that I took a liking to once I retired because he rewrote the blueprint. I don’t want to say that he is the blueprint, because there has been plenty of players that have transitioned out of the game into TV. There have been African American men and women before him that have done the same thing, but he is a guy that has shown me the lay of the land, especially being a transplant from the West Coast to now New York.”
Classes canceled at Howard University as US Government investigates ransomware cyberattack
Howard University officials along with leading cyber experts are trying to assess what has been compromised in an active ransomware, cyberattack on the HBCU campus. Officials have deemed the attack criminal.
What We Know:
- Monday, the university issued a statement to faculty and students that “the service disruption was caused by a ransomware cyberattack against the university.”
- Classes have been canceled for Tuesday and Wednesday. Students have been notified that online and hybrid classes will remain canceled and only essential staff will be allowed on campus. All in-person undergraduate, graduate, professional, and clinical experiential courses will resume as scheduled on Wednesday.
- A ransomware attack can be triggered by simple, everyday activity. Opening a unintended link inside of can lead to a cyberattack. Computer, tablet and phone users are encouraged to change their passwords and security questions regularly.
Howard University is home to several notable high profile Black alumni such as Chadwick Boseman and Phylicia Rashad.
Polo G Reportedly Arrested in Los Angeles on Concealed Weapon Charge
Polo G was arrested on in Los Angeles on Monday, TMZ reports.
What We Know:
According to the outlet, Polo G was arrested after police allegedly found a concealed firearm on the Hall of Fame rapper, which TMZ points out is a felony. The supposed discovery of the firearm occurred when a vehicle Polo G was a passenger in was stopped.
It’s currently unclear why the vehicle was pulled over in the first place but it was reported that a male juvenile was also detained during the stop.
Polo was similarly arrested while he was in Miami for his Hall of Fame album release party. The arrest, which took place back in June, resulted in the rapper getting hit with charges of of battery on a police officer, resisting arrest with violence, and criminal mischief. The rapper was also a passenger in a vehicle at the time of that arrest.