What We Know:
- The information comes after a profile from The Atlantic reported Pelosi might step down after next year’s midterm elections. The House Speaker returned to her position earlier this year after an immense amount of support. However, she announced she would not hold that role past 2022.
- The Atlantic declares if the Democratic Party continues holding the House of Representative’s majority, they most likely will choose Jeffries to lead them. The 51-year-old currently is the Democratic caucus chair, and many consider him a conduit to Pelosi. Although Jeffries usually silently agrees with policies, he recently became more vocal on topics such as police reform and the Jan. 6 Insurrections.
- In addition, Jeffries intends on aligning Democrats. He declared his party has “failed repeatedly” because they get caught up in “litigating details and nuances” and are afraid to assert themselves. In fact, he wants the party to learn from the Republicans; the opposing party “speaks in headlines” and better “packages” their ideas. Alongside this, he would like to focus on fighting the systemic racism on which he built his career.
- Despite his potential, he may face opposition from other House leaders. For example, Reps. Cori Bush and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez reluctantly waited until the last minute to cast their votes for Pelosi and may do the same with Jeffries; the House progressives dislike Jeffries because he tends to disagree with their policies, especially the Green New Deal. Regardless of the backlash, he faces from The Squad, Jeffries intends to try working with them to move the Democrats forward.
If Democrats continue running the House in 2022, Jeffries will also make history with his new role, as he will be the first African-American Speaker of the House.
Former NFL Champ Nate Burleson joins CBS Mornings
Former NFL player Nate Burleson has officially made his hosting debut on the newly branded morning talk show, CBS Mornings.
What We Know:
- It was announced earlier this month that Burleson would replace Anthony Mason. Previously Mason joined Gayle King and Tony Doukoupil as host of the former CBS This Morning. The show was rebranded in tandem to the relocation of their set to Times Square and Burleson joining the cast.
- Since 2017, former NFL player Burleson has been the host of Good Morning Football on the NFL Network and has served as an analyst on The NFL Today on CBS. Burleson will continue his role on The NFL Today.
View this post on Instagram
- Burleson is the second former NFL player to join a network morning TV show, with Michael Strahan playing a major role as a co-host on ABC‘s Good Morning America.
Burleson credits Michael Strahan as the ‘blueprint’ for his career path, explaining, “He’s one of those individuals that I took a liking to once I retired because he rewrote the blueprint. I don’t want to say that he is the blueprint, because there has been plenty of players that have transitioned out of the game into TV. There have been African American men and women before him that have done the same thing, but he is a guy that has shown me the lay of the land, especially being a transplant from the West Coast to now New York.”
Classes canceled at Howard University as US Government investigates ransomware cyberattack
Howard University officials along with leading cyber experts are trying to assess what has been compromised in an active ransomware, cyberattack on the HBCU campus. Officials have deemed the attack criminal.
What We Know:
- Monday, the university issued a statement to faculty and students that “the service disruption was caused by a ransomware cyberattack against the university.”
- Classes have been canceled for Tuesday and Wednesday. Students have been notified that online and hybrid classes will remain canceled and only essential staff will be allowed on campus. All in-person undergraduate, graduate, professional, and clinical experiential courses will resume as scheduled on Wednesday.
- A ransomware attack can be triggered by simple, everyday activity. Opening a unintended link inside of can lead to a cyberattack. Computer, tablet and phone users are encouraged to change their passwords and security questions regularly.
Howard University is home to several notable high profile Black alumni such as Chadwick Boseman and Phylicia Rashad.
Polo G Reportedly Arrested in Los Angeles on Concealed Weapon Charge
Polo G was arrested on in Los Angeles on Monday, TMZ reports.
What We Know:
According to the outlet, Polo G was arrested after police allegedly found a concealed firearm on the Hall of Fame rapper, which TMZ points out is a felony. The supposed discovery of the firearm occurred when a vehicle Polo G was a passenger in was stopped.
It’s currently unclear why the vehicle was pulled over in the first place but it was reported that a male juvenile was also detained during the stop.
Polo was similarly arrested while he was in Miami for his Hall of Fame album release party. The arrest, which took place back in June, resulted in the rapper getting hit with charges of of battery on a police officer, resisting arrest with violence, and criminal mischief. The rapper was also a passenger in a vehicle at the time of that arrest.